Why does a straw look bent in water?

• Thread starter ravsterphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of refraction and how it causes objects to appear bent when viewed through water. The light from the part of the object that is underwater is refracted as it travels from water to air, causing it to reach the observer's eye at a different angle than the light from the part of the object above the water. This change in angle leads to the appearance of a bent object. The conversation also suggests drawing a diagram to better understand the concept.
ravsterphysics

Homework Statement

https://www.highlightskids.com/media/kids/highlightskids/images/thumbs/sciQuestions/sq1012_put-a-straw-in-a-glass-of-water_main.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From my understanding, this has to do with refraction. Here's my answer:

-----
Light usually travels in a straight line to our eyes but if the light goes through a different medium, it changes direction.

So as we look at the straw in the glass, the light from the top part of the straw travels straight to our eyes whereas the part of the straw that's underwater has light that is refracted since it goes from air to water, back to air again, so the light travels to the eye at a slightly different angle therefore making the straw look bent.
-----

The part that's not quite clicking with me is, so what if the angle to our eyes has changed? Why does that mean the straw now looks bent?

I've been through a few videos but they don't seem to describe why exactly this happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ravsterphysics said:
whereas the part of the straw that's underwater has light that is refracted since it goes from air to water, back to air again, so the light travels to the eye at a slightly different angle therefore making the straw look bent.

The light from the part of the straw that's underwater does not start out in air, but in water. So it's just water-glass-air. Light from the straw that's above the water goes air-glass-air.

ravsterphysics said:
The part that's not quite clicking with me is, so what if the angle to our eyes has changed? Why does that mean the straw now looks bent?

It would be very beneficial to draw a diagram and do a simple raytrace from parts of the straw to your eye. Do you know how to do that?

Drakkith said:
The light from the part of the straw that's underwater does not start out in air, but in water. So it's just water-glass-air. Light from the straw that's above the water goes air-glass-air.
It would be very beneficial to draw a diagram and do a simple raytrace from parts of the straw to your eye. Do you know how to do that?

Here's a diagram I've drawn based on what I've read so far.
WhatsApp Image 2017-01-12 at 16.38.36.jpeg

So the object is actually at 'object 1' but due to refraction the observer ( and because the brain judges the image location to be where where light rays appear to originate from) deems the object to be at 'object 2'.

Is that correct?

ravsterphysics said:
Here's a diagram I've drawn based on what I've read so far.
View attachment 111455

So the object is actually at 'object 1' but due to refraction the observer ( and because the brain judges the image location to be where where light rays appear to originate from) deems the object to be at 'object 2'.

Is that correct?
You do not seem to have taken in what Drakkith wrote. Your diagram shows the light going air-glass-air, but, as seen in the picture, the part of the straw above the water only appears slightly displaced.
Draw a diagram showing what happens for the part of the straw below the water level. Label all the angles to the normal and consider the relationships between them.

1. Why does a straw look bent in water?

When light travels from one medium to another, it changes speed and direction. This phenomenon is called refraction. When light enters water, it slows down and bends, making objects appear to be in a different position than they actually are. This is why a straw looks bent when partially submerged in water.

2. Does this only happen with straws?

No, this happens with any object that is partially submerged in water. It is a result of the way light behaves when it passes through different mediums.

3. Why does the straw appear straight again when it is fully submerged?

When the straw is fully submerged, the light rays are not passing through the air and water interface, but rather only through water. This reduces the amount of refraction, making the straw appear straight again.

4. Does the temperature of the water affect the amount of bending?

Yes, the temperature of the water does affect the amount of bending. This is because the speed of light changes depending on the temperature of the medium it is passing through. The higher the temperature of the water, the less the straw will appear to bend.

5. Can we use this bending of light in any practical applications?

Yes, refraction of light is used in various optical devices such as lenses and prisms. It is also used in the field of optics and photography to manipulate light and create different effects. Understanding this phenomenon is crucial in the development of many technologies.