Why Does Magnification Formula M = di/do Sometimes Include a Negative Sign?

In summary, there can be different conventions regarding the signs of distance and magnification in the formula for mirrors and lenses. The two equations commonly used are 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and M = hi/ho = di/do. In these equations, the distance and magnification for virtual images are negative, while for real images they are positive. Additionally, the focal length of a concave mirror is positive, while that of a convex mirror is negative. In thin lenses, the focal length is positive for converging lenses and negative for diverging lenses. When solving problems, it is important to consider these conventions in order to obtain accurate results.
i_m_mimi
What is the formula for mirrors and lenses?
My textbook says 1/f = 1/ do + 1/di
Then, hi/ho = - di/do
Then, M= hi/ho
M = di/do
Why is that that M equals each other, but one di/do is negative and the other isn't??
Is the formula my in textbook wrong? Also for questions the textbook gives me, it sometimes uses di/do and sometimes uses - di/do. IT'S REALLY CONFUSING ME!

Also, can you explain to me all the positive and negatives, that is really confusing, too. Like sometimes numbers will be negative depending on if its a concave mirror or convex or if its a virtual image or what? What's up with that?

Can you explain how to do these? I know the answers, but I'm still confused.
1. A student wants to place an object in front of concave mirror to produce an image half the object's size. If the focal length of the mirror is 5cm, how far form the mirror should the object be places?
Answer: 15cm
This uses the formula M = -di/do when I do it while the next question uses M = di/do.

2. An object place 5cm in front of a concave mirror. The magnification of the object is 2.5. If a real image is produced, what's the radius of curvature of the mirror? (Answer: 16.7)

THANKS SO MUCH!

Physics news on Phys.org
There can be different conventions about the sign of distance of image/magnification. I was taught that the distance of a virtual image from the lens or from the mirror is negative, and so is the magnification.
So the two equations we use are : 1/f = 1/do+1/di and M=hi/ho=di/do. The image size is also negative for a virtual image, but you say the magnitude if the size is the question. The real image is at the reflecting side of a mirror. In case of a lens, the real image is at the opposite side of the lens as the object.
The focal length of a concave mirror is positive, that of a convex one is negative.
In case of thin lenses, the focal length is positive for the converging lenses and negative for the diverging ones.

Using this convention in your first problem, f=5 cm. M=1/2, di/do=1/2, di=do/2,
1/5=1/do+1/di=1/do+2/do ---->1/5=3/do--->do=15 cm.

In the second problem, do=5 cm, a real image is formed, so the magnification is positive. M=2.5, di = 2.5 do= 12.5 cm. The radius of curvature is twice the focal length.
1/f = 1/5+1/12.5--->f=3.57 cm, R= 7.14 cm.
The answer is wrong.

If the image were imaginary, di=-12.5 cm, 1/f = 1/5-1/12.5=0.12, f = 8.33, R = 16.7 cm.

ehild

Related to Why Does Magnification Formula M = di/do Sometimes Include a Negative Sign?

1. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror?

A concave mirror curves inward, while a convex mirror curves outward. This results in different properties and uses for each type of mirror.

2. How do I calculate the focal length of a curved mirror?

The focal length of a curved mirror can be calculated using the formula f = R/2, where f is the focal length and R is the radius of curvature. The radius of curvature is the distance between the center of the mirror and its curved surface.

3. What is the magnification of a curved mirror?

The magnification of a curved mirror is the ratio of the size of the image to the size of the object. It can be calculated using the formula M = -i/o, where M is the magnification, i is the image distance, and o is the object distance. A positive magnification value indicates an upright image, while a negative value indicates an inverted image.

4. How does the position of an object affect the image produced by a curved mirror?

The position of an object relative to the curved mirror affects the size and orientation of the image produced. An object placed beyond the focal point of a concave mirror will produce a real and inverted image, while an object placed between the focal point and the mirror will produce a virtual and upright image. For convex mirrors, the image is always virtual and upright regardless of the object's position.

5. What is the difference between a real and virtual image in curved mirrors?

A real image is one that can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image cannot. In curved mirrors, a real image is produced when the reflected light rays actually converge at a point, while a virtual image is produced when the reflected light rays only appear to converge at a point but do not actually do so.