Why does the entropy of the Universe always increase?

In summary: Spontaneous processes can only happen in a high-entropy state, so the universe always starts out in a high-entropy state and gradually decreases in entropy.
Est120
i don't really understand why S of the universe must be always positive,i know that only reversible process have constant entropy but why real proceses always increase S in the universe?
sorry for bad english I am not from USA or UK

Science news on Phys.org
Est120 said:
i don't really understand why S of the universe must be always positive,i know that only reversible process have constant entropy but why real proceses always increase S in the universe?
Can you think of any spontaneous process on any scale whatsoever for which the entropy of an isolated system does not increase? Just identify one such process.

Likes davenn
There are several different ways to look at it. One definition of "entropy" is the thermodynamic definition:

##\Delta S = \dfrac{\Delta Q_{rev}}{T}##

where ##\Delta S## is the change in entropy and ##\Delta Q_{rev}## is the heat added to the system (or removed, if ##\Delta Q## is negative) and where ##T## is the temperature (in Kelvin). (The subscript "rev" means "reversible"; basically, it's the heat that would be added if you had made the change slowly and reversibly.)

So if you transfer heat from a hot object (one with a large value of ##T##) to a cold object (one with a small value of T), then the entropy change of the hot object is negative, because it's losing heat, so ##\Delta Q## is negative. The entropy change of the cold object is positive (because ##\Delta Q## is positive, since it's gaining heat). But since entropy is inversely proportional to temperature, the amount of entropy lost to the hot system is smaller than the amount of energy gained by the cold system.

So saying that entropy always increases boils down to saying that if you put a hot object into contact with a cold object, the hot object gets cooler and the cold object gets warmer. If you want to know why THAT always happens, you've got to go a little deeper.

Est120 said:

A better question would be "Why did the universe begin in a low-entropy state?". The constant increase in entropy is just because a system in a random state is much more likely to be in a high-entropy state that in a low-entropy one.

1. Why does the entropy of the Universe always increase?

The increase of entropy in the Universe is a result of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This is due to the fact that energy naturally flows from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration, leading to a more disordered and random state.

2. Does this mean that the Universe is becoming more chaotic?

While it may seem that the increase in entropy leads to a more chaotic state, it is important to note that entropy is not the same as chaos. Entropy measures the amount of disorder or randomness in a system, but this does not necessarily mean that the system is becoming more chaotic. In fact, some systems may become more ordered as a result of an increase in entropy, such as crystals forming from a solution.

3. Can anything be done to stop the increase of entropy in the Universe?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the increase of entropy in the Universe is an inevitable and irreversible process. While we can slow down the rate of entropy increase in certain systems, it is impossible to completely stop it. However, this does not mean that we cannot create pockets of order and low entropy within the Universe, such as in living organisms or advanced technology.

4. How does the concept of entropy apply to the Universe as a whole?

The concept of entropy applies to the Universe as a whole because it is a closed system. This means that no matter or energy can enter or leave the Universe, and therefore the total entropy of the Universe will always increase. This is known as the heat death of the Universe, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done.

5. Is there a limit to how much entropy can increase in the Universe?

While there is no theoretical limit to how much entropy can increase in the Universe, the rate at which it increases is limited by the available energy and the size of the Universe. As the Universe continues to expand, the amount of energy available for work decreases, leading to a slower rate of entropy increase. However, this process will continue until the Universe reaches a state of maximum entropy, where no more work can be done.