1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why doesn't my result yield 9.8 m/s^2?

1. Feb 15, 2014 #1
    A ball falling from rest is located 45meters below its starting point 3.0s later. Assuming its acceleration is uniform, what is it's value? (air resistance is negligible)

Relevant Equations - Equations for uniformly accelerated motion
    Δd=(v1 x Δt)+(a x Δt^2)/2

Attempt To solve:
    v1= 0
    Δd=45m
    Δt=3.0s
    a=?

a=(2Δd/Δt^2)-(2v1Δt/Δt^2)
    a= ((2 x 45)/9)-((0 x 3)/9)
    a=10m/s^2

If a ball is falling from rest(0 initial velocity) shouldn't it's acceleration be 9.8 seconds since gravity is constant? Is my equation wrong? Is my idea of time-acceleration misplaced?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The given values result in the acceleration that you calculated. Your calculation is okay.

In introductory classes g is often approximated to be 10 m/s2 because it simplifies numerical calculations while still getting across the concepts being taught.

4. Feb 15, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question doesn't say the ball was near the surface of the earth. Don't make unjustified assumptions! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted