Why Iron Glows: Light, Heat & Electrons

• Thread starter Tachyon son
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, when a material is heated, the atoms and molecules vibrate, producing electromagnetic radiation. This radiation has a longer wavelength at lower temperatures and becomes shorter as the temperature increases. This is the reverse of what happens when light hits an opaque material. The radiation is not emitted by electrons, but rather by the vibrations of the lattice ions, similar to dipole radiation. This results in a continuous band of light, unlike the discrete spectrum of atomic transitions. Even nonheated iron will emit a few photons in the visible range.
Tachyon son
Does it something to do with photons emitted by electrons when going down orbits around the atom?

And why it glows in red color?

Is it light and heat two faces of the same thing?

Sorry if the question is ,apparently, too plain. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
When you heat a material, you cause the atoms and molecules that make up the material to vibrate (a solid is made up of a lattice of ions at roughly fixed locations in the material, so they vibrate around these points). This vibration produces EM radiation. A slow vibration produces long wavelength. As you heat the material more, it vibrates faster, the wavelength of the EM radiation becomes shorter until it reaches the visible spectrum. That's why you start seeing this radiation.

Most people don't realize that this is the reverse of what happens when light hits an opaque material. Here, light hits the solid, gets absorbed by the lattice vibration (see the FAQ in General Physics) and converted to heat. This is exactly the reverse of what is happening here, where heat casues the lattice vibration and results in light emission.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This vibration produces EM radiation

Ok, I understand, so that EM radiaton comes from photons emitted by electrons?

Tachyon son said:
Ok, I understand, so that EM radiaton comes from photons emitted by electrons?

No, it doesn't. Notice I didn't mention anything about emission by electrons.

A "vibration" is not the same as "atomic transition". I think most people are somehow convinced that the only way light can be emitted is when an excited atom makes a transition. That is what I tried to debunk when I wrote the FAQ for photon transport in a solid. The same goes here.

There is no atomic transition here. The "vibration" causes the lattice ions that are surrounded by the valence electrons to vibrate. At the naive level, these are similar to dipole radiation. You have a chain of + - + - and they start vibrating. This is similar to an oscilating charge, and oscillating charge produces EM radiation.

Look at the spectrum from your incandescent light bulb. It produces a CONTINUOUS band of light, not discrete like what you expect from an atomic transition (i.e. compare that with what you would get from a He discharge tube, for instance). The spectrum is different. The light emission from each of them comes from different processes.

Zz.

Nice focused answer, thanks! :smile:

Incidentally, a nonheated iron also glows - just with very few photons in the visible range.

Related to Why Iron Glows: Light, Heat & Electrons

1. Why does iron glow when heated?

Iron glows when heated because of a process called incandescence. When heated, the iron atoms gain energy and their electrons become excited. As the electrons return to their original energy levels, they release energy in the form of light, causing the iron to glow.

2. What causes the different colors of iron glow?

The different colors of iron glow are caused by the varying energy levels of the excited electrons. The color of the glow depends on the amount of energy released by the electrons as they return to their original energy levels. Higher energy releases result in shorter wavelengths and blue or white light, while lower energy releases result in longer wavelengths and red or orange light.

3. Can iron glow without heat?

No, iron cannot glow without heat. Incandescence requires the transfer of energy to the iron atoms, which is typically achieved through heat. Without heat, the electrons do not gain enough energy to become excited and emit light.

4. How does iron glow differ from phosphorescence and fluorescence?

Iron glow, or incandescence, is a type of thermal radiation where the heat source is responsible for exciting the electrons and causing them to emit light. Phosphorescence and fluorescence, on the other hand, are types of luminescence where the electrons are excited by a different energy source, such as light, and then emit light as they return to their original energy levels.

5. Is iron the only element that glows when heated?

No, iron is not the only element that glows when heated. Many elements exhibit incandescence, including carbon, tungsten, and aluminum. The color and intensity of the glow may vary depending on the element and its properties.