Why is it important to make sure the string attached to the block level?

In summary, the block moves down the slope with less friction if the string is not level. If the string is leveled, the normal force and friction force both increase.
paxian

Homework Statement

In a friction lab to determine the static and kinetic coefficient of friction, there is a block on a flat slope attached to a string which pulled down by a hanging mass. The lab question is: Why is it important to make sure that the string attached to the block is level?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

is it bc at that angle, it only has one component x (horizontal component) and thus resulted in the lowest required force to move the mass with that string.

Physics news on Phys.org
paxian said:
is it bc at that angle, it only has one component x (horizontal component) and thus resulted in the lowest required force to move the mass with that string.

Actually, the horizontal position doesn't result in the lowest required force to move the block. If the string angles upwards from the block, some of the force would reduce the effective weight of the block on the surface and reduce the friction.

Also, examine what happens to the angle as the block moves closer to the pulley. What happens?

In a lab situation it is usually desirable to minimize the number of variables that change t the same time. Ideally only one variable should be, well, variable! That way you can concentrate on measuring the effects of changing one thing at a time.

paxian, welcome to the PH forums.

Your answer is not the complete answer.

How is the normal force affected?

What if the angle is not taken into account? How would this affect the resulting calculation of coefficient of friction?

Thanks so much for your quick responses!

The normal force would be smaller if the string is level?

Friction force acts parallel to the plane of interface. If the string is not leveled, the coefficient of friction is a lot smaller??

paxian said:
Thanks so much for your quick responses!

The normal force would be smaller if the string is level?

Friction force acts parallel to the plane of interface. If the string is not leveled, the coefficient of friction is a lot smaller??

The coefficient of friction is a characteristic of the materials involved. It doesn't change.

Draw a force diagram (FBD) for the block to determine what changes when the string angle changes.

gneill said:
The coefficient of friction is a characteristic of the materials involved. It doesn't change.

Draw a force diagram (FBD) for the block to determine what changes when the string angle changes.

After I draw the FBD...The Tension will now have x and y components when the string angle changes. Ff and N stay the same. If the string is leveled, it only has one component x (horizontal component).

You also helped me to answer one of my other lab questions. The coefficient of friction is the same on flat slope and inclined slope. Thanks so much.

By the way, I am so new to Physics and applying Physics theory... Please be a little bit more specific so that I can understand and learn Physics from you.

paxian said:
After I draw the FBD...The Tension will now have x and y components when the string angle changes. Ff and N stay the same. If the string is leveled, it only has one component x (horizontal component).
Careful, that y-component of the string force is going to affect the normal force! Ff will change if the string angle changes!
You also helped me to answer one of my other lab questions. The coefficient of friction is the same on flat slope and inclined slope. Thanks so much.

By the way, I am so new to Physics and applying Physics theory... Please be a little bit more specific so that I can understand and learn Physics from you.

We're happy to help here, but we can't do the work for you! Direct answers to homework problems are not permitted. What we can do is point out errors, give helpful hints, explain concepts, etc.. We do the best we can to help you where you need it.

Related to Why is it important to make sure the string attached to the block level?

Why is it important to make sure the string attached to the block level?

1. What is the purpose of attaching a string to the block level?

Attaching a string to the block level allows for the measurement of forces, such as tension, acting on the block.

2. Can't the block be measured without the string?

Yes, the block can be measured without the string, but the string allows for more precise and accurate measurements of forces.

3. What happens if the string is not securely attached to the block level?

If the string is not securely attached, it can result in inaccurate measurements and potentially cause the block to fall or move unexpectedly.

4. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when attaching the string to the block level?

Yes, it is important to make sure the string is not too tight or too loose, as this can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, the string should be securely attached to prevent any accidents or injuries.

5. Can any type of string be used to attach to the block level?

No, it is important to use a strong and durable string that can withstand the forces being measured. Thin or weak strings may break or stretch, leading to inaccurate measurements.