Why is the 'X' obtained in the experiment different from the expected 'X'?

In summary, the conversation is discussing an experiment where a marble travels down a ramp, rolls along a flat surface, and falls off a desk. The goal is to calculate the distance the marble will land using a given formula. However, the results of the experiment are showing a 30% difference from the expected result. It is deduced that the discrepancy is caused by the marble having rolling kinetic energy on the ramp and gaining more kinetic energy when it crosses the flat surface. The sound energy emitted when the marble hits the ground is not relevant. The formula for distance from the desk is corrected to include a factor of 2 for the rolling marble.
JenDM

Homework Statement

We did an experiment where A marble travels down a ramp,
rolls along for 5 cm, then falls off a desk. The marble starts off
while gravitational potencial energy, and ends with kinetic energy.
We were given a formula for the distance from the desk the marble
lands, 'x', calculated by multiplying the height of the ramp by the
height the desk and square rooting the product. So here's my question:
Why is the expected 'X' so different from the 'X' obtained in the experiment?

Homework Equations

Egpe = mgh
Eke = 1/2mv**2

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the large percent error caused by the marble
having some kinetic energy on the ramp?
HELP!

Jen DM

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for dist from the desk should be 2*sqrt(height of ramp*height of table), assuming no loss in energy for the 5 cm roll. You can deduce it quite easily.

I know that that formula shows what should happen, but the results of the experiment show something 30% different, and I was wondering why they are so different, i(e sound energy present?)

I appreciate your help :)

Thanks

Your original formula didn't have the factor of 2. So, I thought that could be the reason for the discrepancy.

The marble also has rolling KE, which it gains when it crosses the flat table, which should be the most significant factor. The formula deduced was for just a point mass sliding.

Sound is emitted after the marble strikes the ground and is not relevant, unless of course you mean the sound when it hits the table and rolls across it. That should be very less.

That makes sense, since the marble is rolling, not sliding down the ramp.

thank you so much!

Related to Why is the 'X' obtained in the experiment different from the expected 'X'?

1. What is the Conservation of Energy error?

The Conservation of Energy error is a violation of the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In other words, the total amount of energy in a closed system must remain constant over time.

2. What causes the Conservation of Energy error?

The Conservation of Energy error can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces acting on a system, friction, or human error in measurements. It can also occur in systems that are not completely closed, allowing energy to be exchanged with the surroundings.

3. Why is the Conservation of Energy error important to understand?

Understanding the Conservation of Energy error is crucial in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and environmental science. It helps us accurately predict and analyze the behavior of systems and can lead to important discoveries and advancements.

4. How can the Conservation of Energy error be minimized?

The Conservation of Energy error can be minimized through careful experimental design, accurate measurements, and consideration of all external factors that may affect the system. Using advanced technology and techniques can also help reduce errors in energy calculations.

5. Can the Conservation of Energy error ever be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the Conservation of Energy error. However, by understanding its causes and minimizing it as much as possible, we can reduce its impact and improve the accuracy of our calculations and predictions.