Why light exerts pressure on a metal surface

In summary: The E and B fields of an incident monochromatic plane wave on a metal surface, as well as the current density of mobile electrons, J, result in a force on the metal due to the magnetic force on the mobile electrons. In summary, the E field causes the electrons to move in the -z direction, and the resulting B field exerts a force in the y direction on the metal surface.
Eric Wright

Homework Statement

By considering the E and B fields of an incident monochromatic plane wave on a metal surface, as well as the current density of mobile electrons, J and the resulting EM force F felt by them, show that there is a force on the metal due to the magnetic force on the mobile electrons.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec F = q( \vec E + \vec v \times \vec B ) [/tex]

[tex] \vec E = E_0 e^{ky-wt} \hat k [/tex]

[tex] \vec B = \frac{E_0}{c} e^{ky-wt} \hat i [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the surface be the zy plane. Then at the surface we have

[tex] \vec E = E_0 e^{-wt} \hat k [/tex]
[tex] \vec B = \frac{E_0}{c} e^{-wt} \hat i [/tex]

Consider a mobile electron on the surface. The E field will cause the electron to move in the -z direction. Then since the electron is now moving, the B field will exert a force in the
[tex] - \hat k \times \hat i = \hat j [/tex]
direction. Applying this to all mobile electrons we get a net force in the y direction on the surface.

I just wanted to see if my logic here is correct.. Am I missing any important details?

Any reply would be great.. thanks!

Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
Eric Wright said:

Homework Statement

By considering the E and B fields of an incident monochromatic plane wave on a metal surface, as well as the current density of mobile electrons, J and the resulting EM force F felt by them, show that there is a force on the metal due to the magnetic force on the mobile electrons.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec F = q( \vec E + \vec v \times \vec B ) [/tex]

[tex] \vec E = E_0 e^{ky-wt} \hat k [/tex]

[tex] \vec B = \frac{E_0}{c} e^{ky-wt} \hat i [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the surface be the zy plane. Then at the surface we have

[tex] \vec E = E_0 e^{-wt} \hat k [/tex]
[tex] \vec B = \frac{E_0}{c} e^{-wt} \hat i [/tex]

Consider a mobile electron on the surface. The E field will cause the electron to move in the -z direction. Then since the electron is now moving, the B field will exert a force in the
[tex] - \hat k \times \hat i = \hat j [/tex]
direction. Applying this to all mobile electrons we get a net force in the y direction on the surface.

I just wanted to see if my logic here is correct.. Am I missing any important details?

Any reply would be great.. thanks!

Eric

Looks right to me!

1. Why does light exert pressure on a metal surface?

Light exerts pressure on a metal surface due to the transfer of momentum from the photons in the light to the electrons in the metal. This transfer of momentum creates a force that pushes against the metal surface, resulting in the exertion of pressure.

2. How does the intensity of light affect the pressure it exerts on a metal surface?

The intensity of light is directly proportional to the pressure it exerts on a metal surface. This means that as the intensity of light increases, so does the amount of pressure it exerts on the metal surface.

3. What is the relationship between the color of light and the pressure it exerts on a metal surface?

The color of light does not have a direct impact on the pressure it exerts on a metal surface. However, different colors of light have different wavelengths and therefore carry different amounts of energy. This energy can affect the intensity of light, which in turn affects the pressure it exerts on a metal surface.

4. Can light exert pressure on all types of metals?

Yes, light can exert pressure on all types of metals. This is because the transfer of momentum from photons to electrons is a fundamental physical process that is not specific to any particular type of metal.

5. How is light pressure different from other types of pressure?

Light pressure is different from other types of pressure because it is caused by the transfer of momentum from photons, which are massless particles, to electrons. This is in contrast to other types of pressure, such as air pressure or water pressure, which are caused by the collisions of particles with mass.