Why NaCl does not conduct electricity in solid state?

In summary, the student's teacher saw the electrons and gave a 0 mark to the question because it had no free moving ions.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The title

Homework Equations

Nah

The Attempt at a Solution

It has no free moving ions or electrons

Then, my teacher saw the electrons and gave 0 marks to the question(It was on the test paper)

He said that if he didn't see electrons there, he would have given a mark.
Why? I don't understand.

If it does not have free moving ions but have free moving electrons, then it will conduct. My answer should not be wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see problem with electrons being mentioned, quite the opposite - it looks quite OK to me.

That is, your wording can be slightly confusing. If what you mean is that NaCl crystal has no free moving ions nor free moving electrons, I would accept it. Delocalized, freely moving electrons in the conduction band are what makes solids conductive.

I will move the question to physics forum, as it is better suited there.

Borek said:
If what you mean is that NaCl crystal has no free moving ions nor free moving electrons, I would accept it.
Isn't that the same thing?
Can a native English speaker help me here?What do you think?

adjacent said:
Isn't that the same thing?
Can a native English speaker help me here?What do you think?

The way you wrote it it might be possible to interpret as you stating that NaCl doesn't have electrons which isn't true. I think your meaning is clear by context though.

dauto said:
The way you wrote it it might be possible to interpret as you stating that NaCl doesn't have electrons which isn't true. I think your meaning is clear by context though.

Yeah, I think he read the sentence separately:
[It has no free moving ions] [or electrons]

I think it's better to write:
[It has no free moving ions] nor [free moving electrons]. This makes more sense :smile:

When formally dissected, your answer states (among other things) "it has no electrons". Your adjective "free moving" is associated with ions. If you intend the adjective to also be associated with electrons then the adjective must be repeated, as Borek illustrated.

http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Remember, an examination doesn't test a student's understanding, it tests a student's skill at convincing the examiner of his understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon2.gif Remember, an examination doesn't test a student's understanding, it tests a student's skill at convincing the examiner of his understanding.
I see, I will keep this in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is NaCl and why is it important to understand its conductivity?

NaCl, also known as sodium chloride, is a type of salt that is commonly found in everyday table salt. It is important to understand its conductivity because it is a fundamental aspect of its chemical properties and has a wide range of applications in various industries.

2. How does the structure of NaCl affect its conductivity in solid state?

In its solid state, NaCl exists as a crystalline lattice structure. The ions in this structure are held tightly in place by strong electrostatic forces, making it difficult for them to move and conduct electricity.

3. Why does NaCl not conduct electricity in its solid state, despite being composed of ions?

Although NaCl is composed of ions, these ions are not free to move and carry an electric charge in its solid state. This is because the ions are held in fixed positions in the crystal lattice and cannot flow to create an electric current.

4. Can NaCl conduct electricity in any state?

Yes, NaCl can conduct electricity in its molten (liquid) or aqueous (dissolved in water) state. In these states, the ions are able to move freely and carry an electric charge.

5. Are there any factors that can influence the conductivity of NaCl in its solid state?

Yes, the conductivity of NaCl in its solid state can be influenced by factors such as temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the ions in the solid lattice gain more energy and can become mobile, increasing conductivity. Similarly, under high pressure, the ions may be forced closer together, making it easier for them to move and conduct electricity.