1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Refractive Index Varies with Wavelength of Light

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We learn from school that when we shine white light through a prism, dispersion occurs. This is because the light of varying wavelengths are refracted to a different extent due to how refractive index varies with the wavelength of light. So why does refractive index vary with wavelength?

2. Relevant equations

E = hf?

3. The attempt at a solution

Light of varying wavelengths have different amounts of energy. As such it is logical that they would travel at different speeds in a particular medium and be refracted to a different extent. However, it is not a very technical explanation and isn't entirely coherent. I read something about it in a textbook. However, I didn't quite understand ti. Is there any simple explanation for this phenomena?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2008 #2
    There's a brief chapter in Eugene Hecht book "Optics" wich explain it. I hope it might help.

Best regards

4. Aug 30, 2008 #3
    because atoms respond differently to different frequencies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?