Why Refractive Index Varies with Wavelength of Light

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
nova-ex
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We learn from school that when we shine white light through a prism, dispersion occurs. This is because the light of varying wavelengths are refracted to a different extent due to how refractive index varies with the wavelength of light. So why does refractive index vary with wavelength?

Homework Equations



E = hf?

The Attempt at a Solution



Light of varying wavelengths have different amounts of energy. As such it is logical that they would travel at different speeds in a particular medium and be refracted to a different extent. However, it is not a very technical explanation and isn't entirely coherent. I read something about it in a textbook. However, I didn't quite understand ti. Is there any simple explanation for this phenomena?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a brief chapter in Eugene Hecht book "Optics" which explain it. I hope it might help.

Best regards
 
because atoms respond differently to different frequencies.