1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Width of central maximum in a single slit diffraction pattern

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    hi everybody.
    I have a problem in finding the width of central maximum in a single slit diffraction pattern. theoritically, we say it is the distance between the two first minima on either sides of the central maxima. i feel this calculation leads to the width of central maxima+half minima on one side+half minima on other side.
    please somebody help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I usually take the width of a single-slit diffraction pattern to be the full-width at half-maximum of the central peak, because it nicely corresponds to the argument of the sinc^2 function the diffraction pattern represents.

In any case "width" of a single-slit diffraction pattern is somewhat arbitrary, and can really be whatever interval you define it to be. Astronomers I think use a different definition based on various criteria for resolving objects for example.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?