Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Width of central maximum in a single slit diffraction pattern

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    hi everybody.
    I have a problem in finding the width of central maximum in a single slit diffraction pattern. theoritically, we say it is the distance between the two first minima on either sides of the central maxima. i feel this calculation leads to the width of central maxima+half minima on one side+half minima on other side.
    please somebody help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I usually take the width of a single-slit diffraction pattern to be the full-width at half-maximum of the central peak, because it nicely corresponds to the argument of the sinc^2 function the diffraction pattern represents.

In any case "width" of a single-slit diffraction pattern is somewhat arbitrary, and can really be whatever interval you define it to be. Astronomers I think use a different definition based on various criteria for resolving objects for example.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?