Solving for u & A: Help Appreciated!

• Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation for t and then substituting it into another equation to find the minimum value of u and the maximum value of A. The participants are discussing different methods of solving the equation and seeking help from others.
DivGradCurl
Guys, I'm a little confused. Please, take a look at this:

[tex]L=\frac{u\cos A}{r} \left( 1 - e^{-rt} \right)[/tex]

Solving for [tex]t[/tex] gives

[tex]t=\frac{1}{r}\ln \left( \frac{u\cos A}{u\cos A - rL} \right)[/tex]

Then, substitute [tex]t[/tex] in the equation that follows

[tex]H=-\frac{gt}{r}+ \frac{1}{r}\left( u\sin A + \frac{g}{r} \right) \left( 1 - e^{-rt} \right) + h[/tex]

which gives

[tex]H = \frac{g}{r}\ln \left( 1 - \frac{rL}{u\cos A} \right) + \frac{L}{u\cos A} \left( u\sin A + \frac{g}{r} \right) + h[/tex]

Let's say we're given the values:

[tex]g=32[/tex]

[tex]h=3[/tex]

[tex]r=\frac{1}{5}[/tex]

[tex]L=350[/tex]

[tex]H=10[/tex]

That implies we haven't yet obtained [tex]u[/tex] and [tex]A[/tex]. There is ONE equation and TWO variables. However, we're looking for the [tex]u_{min}[/tex] AND [tex]A_{max}[/tex]. I think we first need to solve the equation above for [tex]u[/tex], take the first derivative of the expression with the variable [tex]A[/tex], set it equal to zero, and then solve it for [tex]A_{max}[/tex]. Consequently, we're are able to get [tex]u_{min}[/tex].

I've had difficulty solving the equation for [tex]u[/tex]. I also tried to solving it with aid of the computer, but it won't give me the answer!

Any help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, check your substitution. It does not look right to me. Either that or your H equation is wrong to begin with.

Last edited:

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and confusion with us. It looks like you are trying to solve for u and A in the equation provided. This can be a bit tricky since there are two variables and only one equation. However, you are on the right track with using the given values to solve for these variables.

To solve for u, you can rearrange the equation for t and substitute the given values to get:

t = 1/5 * ln(u*cosA/(u*cosA - 1750))

Next, substitute this value for t into the equation for H and set it equal to the given value of 10. This will give you an equation with only u and A as variables. You can then use a computer or a graphing calculator to find the values of u and A that satisfy this equation.

As for finding u_min and A_max, you are correct in thinking that you will need to take the first derivative of the equation for H with respect to A and set it equal to 0 to find the maximum value of A. Once you have this value, you can use it to solve for u_min.

I hope this helps. If you are still having difficulty, it may be helpful to discuss the problem with a tutor or teacher who can provide more guidance. Good luck!

What does "Solving for u & A" mean?

"Solving for u & A" refers to solving for the variables of "u" and "A" in an equation or problem. This means finding the values of "u" and "A" that make the equation or problem true.

Why is solving for u & A important in science?

Solving for u & A is important in science because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of systems or processes. By solving for these variables, scientists can determine how changes in one variable may affect the other, and make informed decisions and predictions based on this information.

What are some common methods for solving for u & A?

There are various methods for solving for u & A, depending on the type of problem or equation. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other methods may involve using mathematical formulas, equations, or models.

What are some tips for successfully solving for u & A?

Some tips for successfully solving for u & A include carefully reading and understanding the problem or equation, identifying any given information or known values, choosing an appropriate method for solving, and checking your work for accuracy.

Can solving for u & A be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, solving for u & A can be applied to real-world problems in various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. These methods can help scientists understand and predict natural phenomena, design experiments, and develop solutions to real-world challenges.