Wilson mirror and Early effect.

• Thread starter perplexabot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary: if we try to make the current source/sink operate at a specific voltage, then we are defeating the purpose of the device.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hello all. So I'm currently studying about current mirrors (specifically the Wilson current mirror). I'm reading "The Art of Electronics," page 89 (fig. 2.48 or the image attached). In there it says:
Q1 and Q2 are in the usual mirror configuration, but Q3 now keeps Q1's collector fixed at two diode drops below Vcc. That circumvents the Early effect in Q1, whose collector is now the programming terminal, with Q2 now sourcing the output current.

Ok so most of this makes sense to me, but shouldn't Q3 be the one "circumvented" from the Early effect since the load is attached to it?

Attachments

• wilson mirror.jpg
    wilson mirror.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,271
Engineering news on Phys.org
perplexabot said:
Hello all. So I'm currently studying about current mirrors (specifically the Wilson current mirror). I'm reading "The Art of Electronics," page 89 (fig. 2.48 or the image attached). In there it says: Ok so most of this makes sense to me, but shouldn't Q3 be the one "circumvented" from the Early effect since the load is attached to it?

The thing is, the whole idea of a current source/sink is that it should be able to work into a wide range of voltages while maintaining a constant current. So we can't avoid having collector voltage variations at Q3, to do so would "circumvent" the very purpose of a current source.

What's different about Q3 in the Wilson current mirror compared to the basic two transistor current source is that it is the emitter current that is being "mirrored" in the Wilson case (@ Q3) whereas it is effectively the base current that's being mirrored in the simpler two transistor case. You'll notice that the input to Q3 (output of the Q1 Q2 mirror) is on the emitter and the output on the collector. So Q3 is effectively a common base stage buffering the Q1/Q2 mirror.

This make a huge difference to it's susceptibility to Early effect. See my reply #16 in the following post for further explanation of why this is so. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=634511

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

What I understand from what you are saying is that "circumventing" the Early effect for Q3 defeats the purpose of a current source. Why? Because that will cancel the negative feedback from the load. Is that correct? I have also learned from your post #16 that the Early effect is not noticeable in a common base configuration (I need to think about this some more).

I don't understand how in a regular current mirror it is the base current that is being mirrored as you have stated. I thought the input current is being mirrored to the load?

perplexabot said:
I don't understand how in a regular current mirror it is the base current that is being mirrored as you have stated. I thought the input current is being mirrored to the load?

In a normal two transistor current mirror, they are connected so that the base emitter junction voltages are identical for each transistor (and the current in one of them is well defined by the external resistance/voltage).

Since the transistors are matched, and are supplied with identical base-emitter voltages, the theory is that they must therefore have identical base currents. Now if the current gains ([itex]\beta[/itex]) are matched then it follows that collector currents will also be identical.

The problem is however, that the Early effect causes beta (of the output transistor) to increase as Vce increases, due to base narrowing. In the Wilson mirror this is countered by allowing the base matched pair Q1/Q2 to operate at similar Vce levels and buffering the output through Q3 (so as to allow for voltage swings at the Q3 collector).

Now Q3 will also be subject to the Early effect (base narrowing and increased current gain), but since Q3 is common base we are only interested in the ratio of Ic/Ie instead of the ratio Ic/Ib as per Q1/Q2.

And since [itex]I_c/I_e = \frac{\beta}{\beta + 1}[/itex], it is largely unaffected by small or even moderate changes in beta. (See numerical example in previously linked post).

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply and help. You have not answered one of my response questions. Is this correct?
perplexabot said:
What I understand from what you are saying is that "circumventing" the Early effect for Q3 defeats the purpose of a current source. Why? Because that will cancel the negative feedback from the load.

perplexabot said:
What I understand from what you are saying is that "circumventing" the Early effect for Q3 defeats the purpose of a current source. Why? Because that will cancel the negative feedback from the load.

No, all that I meant by that comment is that we cannot try to defeat the Early effect in the output transistor of a current mirror by somehow trying to force it to operate at a specific Vce level (as we are doing in the case of Q1 in the Wilson mirror above). The whole purpose of a current source/sink is that it maintains constant current irrespective of what voltage we apply (within reason). Hence trying to force the C/M to only operate into some specific voltage would defeat it's purpose.

uart said:
No, all that I meant by that comment is that we cannot try to defeat the Early effect in the output transistor of a current mirror by somehow trying to force it to operate at a specific Vce level (as we are doing in the case of Q1 in the Wilson mirror above). The whole purpose of a current source/sink is that it maintains constant current irrespective of what voltage we apply (within reason). Hence trying to force the C/M to only operate into some specific voltage would defeat it's purpose.

Thank you once again for your correction and help. I need to study the Wilson mirror some more and take into account your statements.

1. What is the Wilson mirror and Early effect?

The Wilson mirror and Early effect are concepts in physics that describe the behavior of electrons in a semiconductor device, specifically a bipolar junction transistor (BJT). The Wilson mirror refers to the phenomenon of a transistor amplifying a signal by reflecting it back and forth between the collector and emitter regions. The Early effect, on the other hand, describes the increase in collector current with increasing collector-base voltage, which can limit the stability of a transistor.

2. How does the Wilson mirror work?

The Wilson mirror works by utilizing positive feedback to amplify a signal. When a signal is applied to the base of the transistor, it causes a small current to flow from the emitter to the collector. This current creates a voltage drop across the collector resistor, which in turn causes a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter. This process repeats, with each cycle amplifying the signal further.

3. What causes the Early effect in transistors?

The Early effect is caused by the variation in the width of the depletion region in the collector-base junction of a transistor. As the collector-base voltage increases, the depletion region widens, reducing the effective base width. This leads to an increase in the transistor's gain, and thus an increase in collector current.

4. How does the Early effect affect transistor performance?

The Early effect can have a significant impact on the performance of a transistor. It can cause variations in the gain and output impedance, which can affect the stability and linearity of the device. In some cases, it can also lead to thermal runaway, where an increase in collector current causes a further increase in temperature, leading to even higher collector current and potential damage to the transistor.

5. Can the Wilson mirror and Early effect be mitigated?

Yes, the Wilson mirror and Early effect can be mitigated through proper design and biasing of the transistor. For example, a resistor can be placed in series with the collector to limit the positive feedback and stabilize the amplifier. Additionally, the transistor can be biased in a way that minimizes the Early effect, such as using a lower collector-base voltage. Advanced design techniques, such as cascode and bootstrap configurations, can also be used to reduce the impact of these effects.