Windows vs Gmail: How to Resolve the Conflict?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the user had intermittent problems with their gmail account. After trying different things, they found out that it was most likely a conflict with another application. They then cleared their browser's cache and antivirus, and the problem went away.
Andre
Perhaps I should have started this thread this morning instead of trying to sort out the problem myself.

So, when I tried to answer my googlemail's a blank screen appeared. I tried the usual things, did a virus scan, checked other software. Nothing only no way of answering gmails.

As I was planning on refreshing the complete C: partition one of these years, this problem expedited that decision and after reinstalling home windows XP (German Version) gmail worked fine again.

Then I went on doing all the other things reinstalling the lot, including the windows updates to find out that the problem had returned.

After some evalutation I uninstalled the windows updates and sure enough gmail worked fine again.

Familiar problem? Any suggestions to have both the updates and gmail?

Has microsoft started the open hostilities with the other software producers, disabling their stuff in winsows?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What program are you using to access your gmail account?

Well in the orginal setting I used standard IE. But the first debugging attempt was to rerun it in Firefox, but it gave the same problem however, with a short error message this time in the lower bar, which I don't recall exactly. Something about another application using that or something similar. So at that moment, the thought was about a probable not-recognised virus, since I wasn't running anything else.

I would first try to clear the browser cache, and what type of antivirus are you using, a lot of anti-viruses have problems with Gmail, you should take a look at this...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1523

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that problem ocassionally with gmail. It always goes away after a while though. I always assumed it was google messing up? It is in beta after all(or is it not still?).

it aint in beta no more

thats why i use Firefox

IE is just over the top

Gmail is too still in beta. It's been a very, very long beta, but if you look at the gmail logo, the word BETA is in the bottom right. IE 7 is also still in beta, in case that's what confused you.

Andre: this isn't Microsoft's fault, at least, not on purpose. Either you had some very unlucky timing and Google had one of its short blips, or something else is having a weird conflict.

McAfee antivirus did something similar to me on another computer, and Norton on yet another (in both cases it was not gmail that I was accessing, but it was the same idea). I hate both Norton and McAfee. I hate Norton more, because it's damn near unkillable. It's like a hydra or a vampire or Leo or a population of cockroaches or something.

Norton more, because it's damn near unkillable.
i aggree with this, i reformated 2wice to get rid of it.

1. What are the main differences between Windows and Gmail?

Windows is a computer operating system developed by Microsoft, while Gmail is an email service provided by Google. Windows allows users to access and manage various programs and files on their computer, while Gmail is primarily used for sending and receiving emails.

2. Which one is better for personal use: Windows or Gmail?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and needs. If you primarily use your computer for work or gaming, Windows may be a better option. However, if you rely heavily on email communication, Gmail may be a more convenient choice.

3. Can I use Gmail on a Windows computer?

Yes, you can access Gmail on a Windows computer by opening a web browser and going to the Gmail website. You can also download the Gmail app on a Windows computer through the Microsoft Store.

4. How can I resolve conflicts between Windows and Gmail?

If you are experiencing conflicts between Windows and Gmail, it is important to first identify the specific issue. Some common solutions include updating your operating system and email client, clearing cache and cookies, and ensuring proper internet connectivity.

5. Can I use both Windows and Gmail together?

Yes, you can use both Windows and Gmail together. In fact, many users use Windows as their operating system and access Gmail for their email needs. It is important to ensure that both are properly updated and functioning to avoid any conflicts.