Help with Calculating Force on Rectangle of Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a long straight wire and a rectangle of wire. The question asks for the magnetic flux through the rectangle of wire and the emf induced around it with changing current. It also asks for the net force on the rectangle of wire when both currents are present. The provided solution involves using the equation F=(I1*L*mu*I2/(2pi))(1/d-1/(d+r)) and may require a login to access the figure.
MelanieB

Homework Statement

I really need help with part c of the question...

Consider a long straight wire and a rectangle of wire as shown (see figure). Here the rectangle is a distance d = 4.9 cm from the straight wire at its nearest approach, with length L = 19.0 cm and width r = 7.0 cm (so the far edge is at distance d+r from the straight wire).

https://capa.mcgill.ca/res/mcgill/dcmcgill/phy142/figs/0012.jpg

a )If a current I1 = 50.0 Amps runs through the straight wire, what is the magnetic flux through the rectangle of wire? (You will need to do a simple integral.)
1.69×10-6 Wb

b) If the current I1 changes at a rate of dI1/dt = 1.100×103 Amps/second, what is the emf induced around the rectangle of wire?
3.71×10-5 V

c) When I1 = 50.0 Amps and I2 = 40.0 Amps, each in the direction indicated with the arrows, what is the net force on the rectangle of wire?

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

F=(I1*L*mu*I2/(2pi))(1/d-1/(d+r))

Physics news on Phys.org
MelanieB said:

Homework Statement

I really need help with part c of the question...

Consider a long straight wire and a rectangle of wire as shown (see figure). Here the rectangle is a distance d = 4.9 cm from the straight wire at its nearest approach, with length L = 19.0 cm and width r = 7.0 cm (so the far edge is at distance d+r from the straight wire).

https://capa.mcgill.ca/res/mcgill/dcmcgill/phy142/figs/0012.jpg
This link does not seem to work. It may need a login. Could you post the file in PF? Thanks.

AM

1. How do I calculate the force on a rectangle of wire?

To calculate the force on a rectangle of wire, you will need to know the length, width, and current flowing through the wire. The formula for force on a wire is F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the wire. Make sure to use consistent units when plugging in your values.

2. What is the unit of measurement for force on a rectangle of wire?

The unit of measurement for force on a rectangle of wire is typically newtons (N). This is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI). However, if you are using different units for length, current, or magnetic field strength, the resulting unit for force may be different.

3. Can I use this formula to calculate the force on any shape of wire?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the force on any shape of wire as long as you have the necessary values for length, current, and magnetic field strength. Keep in mind that the shape of the wire may affect the direction and magnitude of the force.

4. How does the current affect the force on a rectangle of wire?

The current flowing through a wire is directly proportional to the force on the wire. This means that as the current increases, the force on the wire also increases. However, the direction of the current also plays a role in determining the direction of the force on the wire.

5. Is there a difference in the force on a wire if it is placed in different magnetic fields?

Yes, the force on a wire can vary depending on the strength and direction of the magnetic field it is placed in. The force will be greater if the magnetic field is stronger and if it is perpendicular to the wire. The force will be zero if the magnetic field is parallel to the wire.