1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wire and a loop

1. Mar 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I really need help with part c of the question...

Consider a long straight wire and a rectangle of wire as shown (see figure). Here the rectangle is a distance d = 4.9 cm from the straight wire at its nearest approach, with length L = 19.0 cm and width r = 7.0 cm (so the far edge is at distance d+r from the straight wire).

https://capa.mcgill.ca/res/mcgill/dcmcgill/phy142/figs/0012.jpg

a )If a current I1 = 50.0 Amps runs through the straight wire, what is the magnetic flux through the rectangle of wire? (You will need to do a simple integral.)
    1.69×10-6 Wb

b) If the current I1 changes at a rate of dI1/dt = 1.100×103 Amps/second, what is the emf induced around the rectangle of wire?
    3.71×10-5 V

c) When I1 = 50.0 Amps and I2 = 40.0 Amps, each in the direction indicated with the arrows, what is the net force on the rectangle of wire?

2. Relevant equations

??

3. The attempt at a solution

F=(I1*L*mu*I2/(2pi))(1/d-1/(d+r))

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2014 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This link does not seem to work. It may need a login. Could you post the file in PF? Thanks.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted