Women Rule: Kick Out Corrupt Old Men & Apply Here

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: I'm not sure who all the other positions would be, they would be filled on merit. In summary, Wolram thinks that there should be a balance between males and females and that if there are too many women they would outrule the men and if there are too many men they would outrule the women. He also thinks that women should rule and that he will be a close advisor to Arildno in this new world order. MIH will be treasurer and Arildno will be the Prime Minister. Wolram accepts the position of Ambassador to Norwex. Lisa would be the over seas ministeress, and 0swerve0, Larkspur, is not sure who would fill the other positions.
Physics_wiz said:
There's something I don't understand here. At my university, we have clubs like "Society of Women Engineers" and "Society of Black Engineers". If there were a "Society of Men Engineers" or a "Society of White Engineers" people would call them sexist and racist respectively. Anyone know why that is so?
One could argue that the Society for White, Male Engineers would be whatever the prominent professional society is. There's a Women in Science group at the university too. I haven't yet attended any of their meetings, but if it's like it is at other universities, they don't exclude men from attending (men usually choose to exclude themselves based on the name). The focus is on addressing issues of sexism and racism and helping retain women or minorities in the field by combating the sexist or racist barriers (it's not about retaining women at all costs, but just making sure they aren't leaving because extra obstacles are being thrown in their path).

I haven't met any of the engineering faculty here, but at least among the students I've met, I've been impressed by the change in attitude that's happened in even just the time since I was an undergrad. When I was still in college, the engineering department still seemed to be a last bastion of sexism...not everyone, mind you, but it was definitely a far more blatant attitude than I ran into elsewhere. So, who knows, maybe it won't be long before such societies aren't needed.

We're starting to overcome it in the Ag schools too (I'm not at the Ag school here, but still have overlapping interests and collaborations with that crowd). The female faculty are still few and far between (as I sat in on a symposium this past weekend on nutrition in domestic animals, in a room of about 50 people...it was a small meeting...there were 3 female faculty present, me being one of them. The male:female ratio was a bit better among the students and post-docs present, but there's definitely still an imbalance among the faculty).

Then again, I really am not running into so much sexism here as I did at my prior institution. Actually, I haven't run into any, and I have to say it's wonderfully refreshing to be able to do what I do without having to butt heads with administrators who are blatantly sexist as I did before (when I was leaving, I talked with other women who were also leaving and thus less afraid of speaking up against the administration, and there was a startling pattern of bias, and a few cases where they'd have been fully justified in filing a sexual harassment suit if they weren't just more anxious to leave and put that place behind them...I used to laugh as our Dept Chair would promote the number of successful women faculty in our department...except for one who was hired long before he came to the department, the rest were ALL spousal hires, or non-tenure track...he never hired a single woman unless he had to hire her to hire her husband, but when they got recognition and high profile publications, he was of course first to claim credit for hiring them :rolleyes:).

(Sorry to turn the topic all serious; I'll try not to do that too often.)

Anyways, back to the topic...I'm all for women ruling. They seem to want to follow the rules. They'd get really angry if another woman in authority didn't follow the rules though. Men can be expected to take advantage of every way to get around the rules or break them. Oh and btw, I'm not saying ALL women or all men are like that. This is just based on what I've seen so far, which is a relatively small sample.
As Mistress of Discipline, I guess that making sure everyone follows the rules is my job, huh? o:) And Ministress of Health. Okay, I think I can make those two work together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_wiz said:
At my university, we have clubs like "Society of Women Engineers" and "Society of Black Engineers". If there were a "Society of Men Engineers" or a "Society of White Engineers" people would call them sexist and racist respectively. Anyone know why that is so?
I think it unfortunate that women or minorities feel the need to form societies, organizations or groups based on their respective gender or racial group. Likely that is a reaction to feeling unwelcome, or at least uncomfortable in a group in which one is a minority.

I have certainly seen sexism as Moonbear has described. It is unfair, unjust and very unfortunate. Such injustice is not right, and it needs to be eliminated!

It was only in 1964 that the Civil Rights Act was passed by Congress. That it was even necessary, and that it took so long is a disgrace! But that's the way it was.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/laws/majorlaw/civilr19.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

It wasn't until 1965 that the Voting Rights Act was passed.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/voting/intro/intro_b.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act

The attitudes that made for segregation, inequality and other injustices persisted in society, particularly among 'conservative' white males.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to be in charge of forts. And sports. Forts and sports. And heartening bedtime stories. I could do a bang-up job, methinks. :smile:

this thread offends me.

I'm also offended by this thread

Smurf, and Pengwino, i am sorry the thread offends you, but one can not keep all creatures happy all the time, now if i said dolphins or cartoon characters should rule the world, then may be that would be the time to call you into the debate.

honestrosewater said:
I want to be in charge of forts. And sports. Forts and sports. And heartening bedtime stories. I could do a bang-up job, methinks. :smile:

A bit of a strange mixture.:smile:

honestrosewater said:
Seems a tad medieval. :biggrin:

Smurf said:
this thread offends me.
But you're engaged to the Prime Minister. That means you'll be First Smurf.

wolram said:
let the women have
a chance :rofl:

They do have a chance. Besides, you do realize that women are not able to work with each other on the same project. Girls just don't get along with each other. This is a psychological fact.

Good suggestion, unfortunately it is not realistic.

marlon

marlon said:
They do have a chance. Besides, you do realize that women are not able to work with each other on the same project. Girls just don't get along with each other. This is a psychological fact.

marlon

WOW! Talk about unwarranted generalization! And contradicted by my own work experiences. I had a female boss and female coworkers on more than one occasion, and all was copacetic and we got a lot accomplished.

marlon said:

marlon
I work very well with women, most of my technical support staff is female.

All right sisters, I think we need to take the Supersonic RV to Belgium and show marlon just how well women work together. :grumpy:

marlon said:

marlon

I find it impossible to comment on such a sweeping statement, and i have no idea if a long term study confirms same, i would have to leave the proposed
candidates to give some input.

Evo said:
All right sisters, I think we need to take the Supersonic RV to Belgium and show marlon just how well women work together. :grumpy:
I will bring the cupcakes and electroshock equipment.

And hard rock music to flush his mozart infested ears :P

honestrosewater said:
I will bring the cupcakes and electroshock equipment.

Off topic Hrw, torturing your opponents is not an opption, one must win this debate by fair and just means, i must say that from the comments so far the
female seems to be the most savage of the sexes , may be i should slooowly back away from this debate.

Oh, the chocolate is in the room with that funny metal door just down the hall.:smile:

wolram said:
Off topic Hrw, torturing your opponents is not an opption,
What? The cupcakes are not for torturing, you sicko.

honestrosewater said:
What? The cupcakes are not for torturing, you sicko.

Oh dear, my mistake,:blushing: now i have arranged a treat for all you girls , if you would all go to the room with the funny metal door you will all have a big supprise.:biggrin:

wolram said:
Oh dear, my mistake,:blushing: now i have arranged a treat for all you girls , if you would all go to the room with the funny metal door you will all have a big supprise.:biggrin:
You wouldn't be trying to tricks us, would you? A fine, upstanding chap like yourself? Does it have sprinkles?

honestrosewater said:
You wouldn't be trying to tricks us, would you? A fine, upstanding chap like yourself? Does it have sprinkles?

Heaven forbid, i would never resort to trickery, remember i am the plinth you can set your gauge upon, the anchore point for your messure, the one true pivot, now there are lots of sprinkles so enjoy :biggrin:

wolram said:
Heaven forbid, i would never resort to trickery, remember i am the plinth you can set your gauge upon, the anchore point for your messure, the one true pivot, now there are lots of sprinkles so enjoy :biggrin:
You certainly do turn a pretty phrase, mister, but I will have to pass. Sprinkles are the surest sign of impending doom. Remember that, kids!

Sprinkles = DANGER!

I really would like the United States government to be more representative, but I always feel that the top agenda item for many women/minorities/under-representative groups is heavily biased towards serving that one particular sector. I wish there were more Barack Obamas and less Jesse Jacksons.

I don't support politicians who openly push the agenda of a specific racial/gender group, no matter how down-trodden that group is. We're all equal.

selfAdjoint said:
WOW! Talk about unwarranted generalization!
Yeah! That was out of line. Who would expect someone to make one of those in a thread about women ruling the world! Let's all try and be reasonable here, geeze.

Guillochon said:
I don't support politicians who openly push the agenda of a specific racial/gender group, no matter how down-trodden that group is. We're all equal.
Eeh??

How do you level out a dump in the ground?
Usually, you would do this through the action of filling out the dump, that is doing an action locally that you wouldn't contemplate of doing globally.

Not willing to do that, is to endorse and accept the continued presence of the dump..

Guillochon said:
I really would like the United States government to be more representative, but I always feel that the top agenda item for many women/minorities/under-representative groups is heavily biased towards serving that one particular sector. I wish there were more Barack Obamas and less Jesse Jacksons.

I think you've missed the point of the thread. I've just taken over as the British Prime Minister. My head of Forts & Sports is negotiating getting sprinkles on our chocolate.

Evo said:
I think you've missed the point of the thread. I've just taken over as the British Prime Minister. .
I hope you'll do something with that shabby-looking black door in your residence.
What about mauve, for example?

Thank you! :smile:

Have you any thoughts on garment policies?

(Oops sorry, as PM, OF COURSE you have thought about every issue imaginable, silly me..)

arildno said:
Thank you! :smile:

Have you any thoughts on garment policies?

(Oops sorry, as PM, OF COURSE you have thought about every issue imaginable, silly me..)
Uhm, there are issues?

Wolram, you didn't say anything about issues, I thought I just got to appoint people and go to fancy dinners. :frown:

You'll get used to them. Just use your intuition whenever some issue pops up. :smile:

Evo said:
Uhm, there are issues?

Wolram, you didn't say anything about issues, I thought I just got to appoint people and go to fancy dinners. :frown:

Well most of the time you can just ponce around and delegate to your minions, but you will have to make a decision now and again.

Evo said:
I think you've missed the point of the thread. I've just taken over as the British Prime Minister. My head of Forts & Sports is negotiating getting sprinkles on our chocolate.

Your forts and sports minister has shot her self in the foot with the sprinkles issue, she has declared them DANGEROUS. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Uhm, there are issues?

You can always choose to ignore the issues and leave it to the people to take care of themselves while you and your top officials feast on chocolate and waste the taxpayers' money on extravagant outings to the spa. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
You can always choose to ignore the issues and leave it to the people to take care of themselves while you and your top officials feast on chocolate and waste the taxpayers' money on extravagant outings to the spa. :biggrin:
Let them eat cake! :approve:

Moonbear said:
Ok, that's more in line with my idea of what the job is. I believe the sisters and Arildno all get to have our own private planes for fabulous vacations at the tax payer's expense. You don't want the people in charge of your fate to become stressed. :frown:

My first meeting is next week on the Island of Mustique. Wolram, you're coming too. :smile: