Solve Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem!

• Thread starter CuriousPerson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle involving the cost of letters at a signmaker's shop and the amount of change Cap'n Threelegs should receive after paying for a sign. The puzzle is related to the neopets website and the price of letters is based on the number of neopet species that start with that letter. The answer is 920, but the conversation also includes some snarky comments about people who are unable to solve the puzzle and the original poster's suggestion to file it under "people who are too lazy to figure out neopets riddles."
CuriousPerson
I recently found this problem online and wasn't able to figure it out. Maybe someone here can figure out the puzzle and explain how they got it!

In celebration of Yurbles coming in for training, Cap'n Threelegs decided to make a sign for his Swashbuckling Academy that read "Welcome Yurbles to the Swashbuckling Academy." He went to the local signmaker to find out how much such a sign would cost.

"Well," the signmaker said, "my pricing is based on which letters you use. Some letters are quite pricey, while others are absolutely free. For example, the letter A costs two dollars, B costs three dollars, C costs three dollars, D costs one dollars, E costs two dollars, F costs one dollars, G costs three dollars, and H's are absolutely free! But I'm sure you don't need me to list off all of them. Still, the most expensive letter is only eight dollarss. And don't forget, the price of the letter Y recently went up."

Cap'n Threelegs commissioned the sign to be made, and handed the signmaker a one thousand dollars to pay for it.

How much change should Cap'n Threelegs receive?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've yet to find anyone who can answer this question and I've seen it posted on a number of other sites. Come on people, get your brains working. :)

ps The answer is 920 but don't ask me how you get there.

I suggest you post this under Brain Teasers.

Gokul43201 said:
I suggest you post this under Brain Teasers.
How about filing this under "people who are too lazy to figure out neopets riddles"?

In order to figure out the answer, you need to be aware that this is from the neopets web site, where, perhaps yurbles have recently been addeed.

Maybe this should be filed under people who like to make others think they have a clue, but really have no idea of what the answer is either? Hey smartass?

rlsuth said:
Maybe this should be filed under people who like to make others think they have a clue, but really have no idea of what the answer is either? Hey smartass?

The price per letter is related to the number of neopet species that start with that letter.

NateTG said:
The price per letter is related to the number of neopet species that start with that letter.

Thanks for pointing out the neopets connection Nate :) , lest anyone here might waste their time with this ridiculous "puzzle".

Related to Solve Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem!

1. What is "Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem"?

"Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem" is a puzzle created by the notorious pirate, Cap'n Threelegs. It involves a series of signs with symbols that players must decipher in order to find the hidden treasure.

2. How do I solve "Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem"?

To solve the puzzle, you will need to carefully examine each symbol on the signs and try to find patterns or connections between them. It may also help to use logic and critical thinking skills to narrow down the possibilities.

3. Is there a specific strategy or method for solving the puzzle?

There is no one set strategy for solving "Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem". Some players may find it helpful to start by identifying common symbols and their meanings, while others may prefer to solve the puzzle step by step. Ultimately, the best strategy will depend on the individual and their problem-solving skills.

4. Can I get any hints or clues to help me solve the puzzle?

There are a few hints and clues that may be helpful in solving "Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem". Pay attention to the placement of the symbols on the signs and try to think outside the box when making connections between them. You may also want to enlist the help of friends or other players to brainstorm ideas.

5. Are there any rewards for solving "Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem"?

Yes, there is a valuable treasure hidden at the end of the puzzle. Once you have successfully solved it, you will be able to claim the treasure and potentially earn recognition as a master solver of "Cap'n Threelegs' Puzzling Sign Problem"!