Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 459K views
Wordle 1,396 2/6

🟨🟨⬛⬛🟨 SNORE 1
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

4 players in a row!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
4 players in a row!
Does it count if they are different #s? 🤔

Although Jack is going to get this one in 2 as well ... our common seed ARISE leaves only the solution as a possibility.
 
I am happy to report that I took 20 minutes to write a Python script to compute the pattern numbers for all possible guesses and solutions. It completes in about a minute. I will be exporting the results to a csv and add them to my sheet. This should remove the need for my sheet to call the script I wrote to go with it and thus significantly improve performance and make some other stuff possible that was prohibitive by computation before.
 
DUMMY! is 6 characters, you're not fooling me!

I present to you: @Orodruin 's Wordle Sheet, version 3:
Screenshot 2025-04-15 at 20.29.02.png

Yes! It looks exactly the same as version 2, but it is sooooooo much faster.

I had to rip out superfluous rows and columns from all other sheets to accommodate the 2300x2300 lookup table within Google's limit on number of cells per notebook, but it was very worth it.
 
Interestingly, POUCH and COUCH are currently the worst-case scenario in remaining number of words after every guess if you follow the sheet without further thought:
Screenshot 2025-04-15 at 20.39.58.png

You would have it in 4 or 5 depending on if you guess correctly after BONGO.
 
All good things come to an end. Including miracle week.

Wordle 1 397 4/6

🟨🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and edwardII
Wordle 1,397 5/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#GuessTheGame #1068
🎮 🟥 🟥 🟩 ⬜ ⬜ ⬜
🕹️#ExaltedGameGuru🕹️
[Spam link deleted by the Mentors]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wordle 1,397 4/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛🟨 AIDER 36
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛ SOPHY 3
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩 CORAL 1 COBRA
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 MORAL

Orodruin said:
All good things come to an end.
I was thinking the same thing.
 
Wordle 1,399 2/6

🟨⬛⬛🟨🟩 GLARE 2: SURGE,
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 DIRGE RNG method

Yippie!
 
I failed. So far all the words were normal! How is one supposed to know this word!
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and jack action
Wordle 1,399 3/6

⬛🟨🟨⬛🟩 [ARISE] 3 left: DIRGE EERIE RIFLE
⬛⬛🟩🟨🟩 [EERIE] most probable - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [DIRGE]

most-probable method count update (Success/Fail): 74/41 - 64.3%/35.7%

martinbn said:
How is one supposed to know this word!
I feel you. I still don't understand how @OmCheeto could have selected it as a 2nd guess within his choices.
 
Another small taste of success! :biggrin:

Wordle 1,399 3/6*

⬛⬛🟩🟨🟨
⬛🟨🟩🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Screenshot from 2025-04-18 18-18-23.png
 
jack action said:
...
I still don't understand how OmCheeto could have selected it as a 2nd guess within his choices.
Given a choice of 2 solutions, I couldn't use your method because I didn't know what the solution word meant. Orodruin's method is useless for 2 words. So I used my trusty 'Random Number Generator' (RNG) method. In the past, whenever I tried to choose between two words, I always seemed to get it wrong, which kind of validates your method. (as I interpret it)

Unfortunately, I don't always document which method I use, so I can't add to your data. I also take terrible notes, as even on the following day, l won't understand what I was talking about. Thirdly, my method is in constant, poorly documented flux.

Example of what I document:

2025.03.17.Monday​
0000 [time of play]​
Wordle 1,367 3/6​
⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛ RINSE 22 left​
⬛🟨⬛🟩⬛ PLUSH 1 left: Orodruin/jack action/OmCheeto hybrid method​
[No idea how to combine all three methods. I suppose I could replay the game and figure out what the hell I was talking about.]​
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 LASSO​
​
RINSE 22/2 G/46 T (51 WB)​
[WB total of 51 vs my total of 46 words indicates 5 missing words on my list]​
[2 G indicates 2 words added by NYT staff to valid solutions but not yet in play. G comes from 'green', which is how I highlight them on my spreadsheet]​
PLUSH 1/0 G/3 T (3 WB)​
LASSO​
​
WB​
CRANE 137​
TOILS 3 SHOAL,​
SALVO 1​
LASSO​
[Wordlebot play for the day. Guessing WB uses something similar to Orodruin's method, but doesn't eliminate played solution words. Maybe.]​
 
martinbn said:
I failed. So far all the words were normal! How is one supposed to know this word!
When playing by brain only, about all you can do is to eliminate as many letters as possible. I got lucky today as there were three or four words left that it could have been. I do use a spell checker and a dictionary that gives me lists of possible words, but no one positive correct answer so I do fail occasionally.
 
martinbn said:
I failed. So far all the words were normal! How is one supposed to know this word!
Imagine being borderline early onset dementia, when even every other day words seem alien.

I looked at BONGO the other day and did not know that it was a real word.
The next day, I wondered why my tiny little brain couldn't connect it to a drum.
 
Wordle 1 400 3/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

One of the worst possible opening patterns for ARISE. The second guess (DIMLY) narrowed it down to 5. CUBIC, OPTIC, PUBIC, INGOT, and INBOX. I liked CUBIC, but I liked INBOX more. Unfortunately INBOX was not a perfect filter like CUBIC. Still went for INBOX as the only words it would not tell apart were CUBIC and PUBIC and the solution sure as anything would not be PUBIC …

Another one in the 3s column for the sheet …