Work and Energy with Tension

In summary: There are no external forces so now work is done on the system causing E=0. I figured out how to work in on my own. Thank you for your reply.
Auburn2017

Homework Statement

Refer to figure.

Homework Equations

U=Fs
T=.5mv^2
Vg=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure where to start. I would appreciate if someone could nudge me in the right direction and then go from there.

Attachments

• 20.6.jpg
    20.6.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a free body diagram of the mass when theta is 180. Write out the ΣF=ma equation for it.

haruspex said:
Start with a free body diagram of the mass when theta is 180. Write out the ΣF=ma equation for it.
I have done that but I am not sure how to get the velocity of the mass...

Attachments

• 20.6 work.jpg
    20.6 work.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 406
Auburn2017 said:
I have done that but I am not sure how to get the velocity of the mass...
Your diagram seems to be for theta = 90 degrees.

For the velocity, any conservation law come to mind?
(In your 'relevant equations', I don't understand Vg=mgh. What is Vg there?)

haruspex said:
Your diagram seems to be for theta = 90 degrees.

For the velocity, any conservation law come to mind?
(In your 'relevant equations', I don't understand Vg=mgh. What is Vg there?)
yeah my figure is incorrect. Vg is the gravitational potential energy

Auburn2017 said:
yeah my figure is incorrect. Vg is the gravitational potential energy
Ok. I thought it more usual to use E or U for energy. What is the T in the preceding equation? Well, I can guess from the equation what it is, but why 'T'?

haruspex said:
Ok. I thought it more usual to use E or U for energy. What is the T in the preceding equation? Well, I can guess from the equation what it is, but why 'T'?
kinetic energy. it's just the notation we use.

Auburn2017 said:
kinetic energy. it's just the notation we use.
Ok, so what relates that to Vg?

haruspex said:
Ok, so what relates that to Vg?
U=ΔT-ΔV where V=Vg+Ve and Ve is the elastic potential energy(spring) but it isn't applicable to this problem

Auburn2017 said:
U=ΔT-ΔV where V=Vg+Ve and Ve is the elastic potential energy(spring) but it isn't applicable to this problem
Let's investigate that. No spring here, so Ve is zero. What is U? Can you assign a value to it?

U=ΔE=(T2-T1)+(VG2-VG1)

Auburn2017 said:
U=ΔE=(T2-T1)+(VG2-VG1)

That's right.
What is the value of ΔE? In other words, does any energy enter or exit the system? (you are expected to assume the nudge does not add any kinetic energy to the pendulum).

Likes Auburn2017
billy_joule said:
That's right.
What is the value of ΔE? In other words, does any energy enter or exit the system? (you are expected to assume the nudge does not add any kinetic energy to the pendulum).
There are no external forces so now work is done on the system causing E=0. I figured out how to work in on my own. Thank you for your reply.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is also known as the pulling force, and its magnitude is equal to the force applied on opposite ends of the string.

2. How is work related to tension?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In the case of tension, work is done when a force is applied on an object through a string or cable, causing it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force. The amount of work done is determined by the magnitude of the tension force and the displacement of the object.

3. Can tension affect an object's energy?

Yes, tension can affect an object's energy. When a force is applied on an object through a string or cable, causing it to move a certain distance, work is done and the object gains or loses energy depending on the direction of the force. The tension force plays a crucial role in determining the object's change in energy.

4. How is tension involved in simple machines?

Simple machines, such as pulleys and levers, use tension to make tasks easier by redirecting and multiplying forces. For example, a pulley system involves a rope or cable being pulled tightly to lift an object. The tension in the rope is what enables the object to be lifted with less force.

5. How can the tension in a system be calculated?

The tension in a system can be calculated by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By analyzing the forces acting on an object and applying this formula, the tension force in the system can be determined.