1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    For some reason I am getting stuck with problems that seem to be very simple.

I get quite confused with the matter that, when fields do negative work, an object gains energy.

So, for example. When we raise a book to a shelf, we are doing positive work equal to mgh and gravity is doing negative work equal to -mgh. Yet, the book gains potential energy. How?

Similarly, when we move a positive charge towards a negative plate through a distance s, we perform work equal to qEs, the field does -qEs and the charge gains potential energy. How?

Sorry if I am failing to spot anything really simple! I might have had a bit too much of studying today :redface:

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2
    Potential energy represents stored work. If a conservative
    force does positive work (as does gravity on a falling object), then potential energy must
    decrease—and that means ΔU must be negative.

4. Sep 13, 2012 #3
    Hi. Thanks for your answer! The only thing that still bothers me is the negative work. How can there be a gain in potential energy if there is positive and negative work of equal magnitudes acting on a object!?

5. Sep 13, 2012 #4
    ΔW=-ΔU by definition

Why negative sign? As in post#2.

6. Sep 13, 2012 #5
    But then doesn't that imply the gain in PE is a result of the external force doing work and the negative work done by the field?

7. Sep 13, 2012 #6
    Here an example from 3000 solved problem-Schaum's Series.

How much work is done in moving a body of mass 1.0kg from an elevation of 2 m. to an elevation of 20m,
    a) by the gravitional field of the earth?
    b) by the external agent lifting the body?

a) W=-ΔU=-176.4J
    The work is negative because the force oppose the motion.

b)W'=ΔK+ΔU
    If the body is unaccelerated(ΔK=0), then W'=176.4J, the negative of the gravitational work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook