Work done and rotation of record player

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where an object of mass m is placed at a distance R from the axis of rotation of a record that makes a complete revolution in time T. The object is held in place by friction, with a coefficient of static friction of uS. The goal is to find the work done by friction in one revolution. Two possible methods are mentioned, one using the equation for frictional force and the other using circular motion equations. The potential answer choices are also listed, with the question of whether uS can be used in this problem. Further clarification and assistance is requested.
mattyisphtty

Homework Statement

An object of mass m sits at a distance R form the axis of rotation of a record that is being played. The record makes a complete revolution in time T and friction holds the object in its place relative to the record. The coefficient of static friction between the object and the record is uS. How much work is done by friction in one revolution?

Homework Equations

W = F*d
Force friction = uS * normal force
Not sure if this is relevant but circular motion is as follows
a = v^2 / r
v = 2 pi r / T

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Frictional force eqn i got
W = uS * mg * 2piR
Using Circular motion I got
W = (8 pi^3 r^2 m)/ t^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Would be much appreciated if someone could reply to me at least with which method to use, me and a few of my friends are working and unfortunatly we all keep getting different answers.

Futher insight: it is a multiple choice problem
A. None
B. (4 pi^2mR) / T^2
C. (8pi^3mR^2)/T^2
D. 2uSmgR
E. (4pi^2uSmgR)/T^2

although I have come across a thought that surprised me. Under these conditions you wouldn't be able to use uS unless it was on the breaking point between uS and uK? so wouldn't that rule out going the frictional force method and leaving me with the circular motion method?

Could I please get some help on this? Still pondering and yet to come up with a definite result.

1. What is the relationship between work done and rotation of a record player?

The amount of work done on a record player is directly proportional to the number of rotations it makes. This means that the more rotations a record player makes, the more work is being done on it.

2. How does the amount of work done affect the sound quality of a record player?

The amount of work done on a record player affects the sound quality by directly impacting the speed and accuracy of the rotation. If there is too little work done, the rotation may be too slow and result in a distorted sound. If there is too much work done, the rotation may be too fast and result in skipping or scratching of the record.

3. Can the work done on a record player be measured?

Yes, the work done on a record player can be measured using the formula W = F*d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This can be measured using specialized equipment or by calculating the force and distance manually.

4. How does the rotation of a record player affect its lifespan?

The rotation of a record player can greatly affect its lifespan. If the rotation is too fast or too slow, it can cause wear and tear on the record player's components, leading to a shorter lifespan. It is important to properly maintain and calibrate the rotation of a record player to ensure its longevity.

5. Can the rotation of a record player be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the rotation of a record player can be changed or adjusted using the speed control knob or buttons on the record player. This allows for different playback speeds depending on the type of record being played. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when adjusting the rotation to prevent damage to the record player.