Work done by a gas during an adiabatic process involving a state chang

In summary: BERN: In summary, the problem is trying to find the work done by a gas as it undergoes a phase change. The problem is trying to find the new values of P, V after the expansion using PV^γ = constant, find out the new temperature, and use the change in internal energy associated with the temperature to find the work, as in an adiabatic process the heat flow is 0. However, with the phase change, I'm not really sure on how to best do this.
qazadex

Homework Statement

The problem involves a container holding a gas at high pressure. The container is opened to the environment, where the gas will cool down, producing a liquid or solid, and I want to find the work done by the gas throughout this process.

Homework Equations

PV^γ = constant
U = Cv (ΔT)

The Attempt at a Solution

The process that I would do is find the new values of the P, V after the expansion using PV^γ = constant, find out the new temperature, and use the change in internal energy associated with the temperature to find the work, as in an adiabatic process the heat flow is 0. However, with the phase change, I'm not really sure on how to best do this.

Currently, I'm thinking that the best way to do this would be to do the adiabatic expansion until the sublimation or boiling point, calculate the work as above, then calculate the work by determining the change in volume from the gaseous to the liquid or solid phase, then using -PΔV to determine the work due to phase change, with P being the atmospheric pressure.

Can anyone tell me if I'm in the right direction, or if there is something I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is an adiabatic process.

First of all, if the gas is at high pressure and then opened to the environment wouldn't it immediately expand and mix with the atmosphere through convection?

Secondly, in a phase change their is an exchange of heat. The value of this amount of heat depends on the latent heat of condensation of the gas.

qazadex said:

Homework Statement

The problem involves a container holding a gas at high pressure. The container is opened to the environment, where the gas will cool down, producing a liquid or solid, and I want to find the work done by the gas throughout this process.
Perhaps you could give us the exact wording of the question.

Is this an ideal gas? If not, why would PV^γ = constant and U = Cv (ΔT) apply? If so, why would it turn to solid or liquid?

AM

1. What is work done by a gas during an adiabatic process?

The work done by a gas during an adiabatic process is the energy transferred by the gas to its surroundings or vice versa. It is a measure of the change in the gas's internal energy.

2. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no heat transfer between the system and its surroundings. This means that the change in the system's internal energy is solely due to work done on or by the system.

3. What is a state change in an adiabatic process?

A state change in an adiabatic process refers to a change in the thermodynamic state of the gas, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or volume. This can occur without any heat transfer during the process.

4. How is work calculated in an adiabatic process involving a state change?

The work done by a gas during an adiabatic process involving a state change can be calculated using the equation W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This equation assumes that the process is reversible and that the gas behaves ideally.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes involving state changes?

Some real-life examples of adiabatic processes involving state changes include the compression or expansion of gases in car engines, the expansion of air in a bicycle pump, and the compression of air in a scuba tank.