Work Done by Gas: Ideal Diatomic Process

In summary, the problem involves a 1.00 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.00 atm and temperature of 420 K undergoing a process where its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 720 K and 1.60 atm, respectively. The task is to determine the work done by the gas during this process. The relevant equations are PV = nRT and W = int(PdV), and after consulting online and official solutions, it is clear that both agree that volume changes. However, if P = nR/V *T and P varies linearly with T, it is unclear how V is not constant. This discrepancy is resolved by considering that there must be
Hlud

Homework Statement

A 1.00 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.00 atm and temperature of 420 K undergoes a process in which its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 720 K and 1.60 atm. Determine the work done by this gas during this process.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT and W = int(PdV)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i checked online for a solution and checked the official solutions manual, after i was stumped for awhile. My biggest issue is that both agree that volume changes. But if P = nR/V *T, and P varies linearly with T, then how is V not a constant? Or if it is changing, then how is n still a constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hlud said:

Homework Statement

A 1.00 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.00 atm and temperature of 420 K undergoes a process in which its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 720 K and 1.60 atm. Determine the work done by this gas during this process.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT and W = int(PdV)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i checked online for a solution and checked the official solutions manual, after i was stumped for awhile. My biggest issue is that both agree that volume changes. But if P = nR/V *T, and P varies linearly with T, then how is V not a constant? Or if it is changing, then how is n still a constant?
It's a 1 mole sample. What does that tell you about n ?

If n is constant, then how is V not constant? The slope of the straight line (in this case slope = nR/V) should be constant. If n and R are to be constants, then i assume that V should be constant as well. However, neither solution i have checked show this.

Hlud said:
If n is constant, then how is V not constant? The slope of the straight line (in this case slope = nR/V) should be constant. If n and R are to be constants, then i assume that V should be constant as well. However, neither solution i have checked show this.
It must be that there is heat transfer involved as well.

I am missing something. If heat is added, can the temperature still vary linearly with pressure? Or is it no longer an ideal gas.

SammyS said:
It must be that there is heat transfer involved as well.
That may have been a bit misleading.

The statement says that P varies linearly with T. It does not say that they are proportional.

SammyS said:
The statement says that P varies linearly with T. It does not say that they are proportional.

So, there must be a nonzero y-intercept. Thanks, that clears it up!

Hlud said:
So, there must be a nonzero y-intercept. Thanks, that clears it up!
Yes. That's the trick.

1. What is work done by gas?

Work done by gas is the measure of energy transfer that occurs when a gas expands or compresses. It is the product of the force applied to the gas and the distance the gas moves.

2. What is an Ideal Diatomic Process?

An Ideal Diatomic Process is a type of thermodynamic process in which the gas follows the ideal gas law, where the temperature, pressure, and volume are related by the equation PV=nRT. It assumes that the gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other.

3. How is work done by gas calculated?

Work done by gas is calculated by multiplying the pressure of the gas by the change in volume. This can be represented by the equation W=PΔV.

4. What factors affect the work done by gas?

The work done by gas is affected by the initial and final volume of the gas, the pressure of the gas, and the type of process (expansion or compression). It is also influenced by the temperature of the gas, as the ideal gas law states that the pressure and volume of a gas are directly proportional to its temperature.

5. How is work done by gas related to heat and internal energy?

Work done by gas is related to heat and internal energy through the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a gas is equal to the heat added to the gas minus the work done by the gas. This means that an increase in work done by the gas will result in a decrease in internal energy, and vice versa.