1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a Gas

1. Dec 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.00 mol sample of an ideal diatomic gas at a pressure of 1.00 atm and temperature of 420 K undergoes a process in which its pressure increases linearly with temperature. The final temperature and pressure are 720 K and 1.60 atm. Determine the work done by this gas during this process.

2. Relevant equations
    PV = nRT and W = int(PdV)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, i checked online for a solution and checked the official solutions manual, after i was stumped for awhile. My biggest issue is that both agree that volume changes. But if P = nR/V *T, and P varies linearly with T, then how is V not a constant? Or if it is changing, then how is n still a constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a 1 mole sample. What does that tell you about n ?

4. Dec 22, 2015 #3
    If n is constant, then how is V not constant? The slope of the straight line (in this case slope = nR/V) should be constant. If n and R are to be constants, then i assume that V should be constant as well. However, neither solution i have checked show this.

5. Dec 22, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It must be that there is heat transfer involved as well.

6. Dec 22, 2015 #5
    I am missing something. If heat is added, can the temperature still vary linearly with pressure? Or is it no longer an ideal gas.

7. Dec 22, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That may have been a bit misleading.

The statement says that P varies linearly with T. It does not say that they are proportional.

8. Dec 22, 2015 #7
    So, there must be a nonzero y-intercept. Thanks, that clears it up!

9. Dec 22, 2015 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That's the trick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted