Work done by air on a baseball

In summary: So your answer should be -31.26J. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a batted baseball with mass 0.145 kg, including air resistance. The goal is to calculate the work done by the air as the baseball moves from its initial position to its maximum height and back to its starting elevation. The equation used is KE_i + PE_i + W_{nc} = KE_f + PE_f, where W_{nc} represents the work done by nonconservative forces. The correct answer is -80.0023J for the first part and -31.26J for the second part. The conversation also includes a discussion about the different ways to write the Conservation of Energy equation and the importance of
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

The following is data from a computer simulation for a batted baseball with mass 0.145 kg, including air resistance:
t x y v_x v_y
0 0 0 30.0 m/s 40.0 m/s
3.05 s 70.2 m 53.6 m 18.6 m/s 0
6.59 s 124.4 m 0 11.9 m/s -28.7 m/s

How much work was done by the air on the baseball as it moved from its initial position to its maximum height?

How much work was done by the air on the baseball as it moved from its maximum height back to the starting elevation?

Man, I am clueless about this problem. The baseball has to move in a parabolic motion though, right? It's a batted ball.

I made a bar graph first of all

(Initial) KE = PE+KE(Final)

Initially, the Vx and Vy are 30.0 m/s and 40.0 m/s respectively. I did the Pythagorean theorem and obtained V = 8.37m/s

Now

1/2mv^2 = mgh + 1/2mv^2

.5(.145kg)(8.37m/s)^2 = (.145kg)(9.80m/s^2)(53.6m) +1/2(.145kg)(18.6m/s)2 + [tex]Delta[/tex]Uinternal

-96.17J = Uinternal

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chandasouk said:

Homework Statement

The following is data from a computer simulation for a batted baseball with mass 0.145 kg, including air resistance:
t x y v_x v_y
0 0 0 30.0 m/s 40.0 m/s
3.05 s 70.2 m 53.6 m 18.6 m/s 0
6.59 s 124.4 m 0 11.9 m/s -28.7 m/s

How much work was done by the air on the baseball as it moved from its initial position to its maximum height?

How much work was done by the air on the baseball as it moved from its maximum height back to the starting elevation?

Man, I am clueless about this problem. The baseball has to move in a parabolic motion though, right? It's a batted ball.
right.
I made a bar graph first of all

(Initial) KE = PE+KE(Final)
you forgot to include the work done by the air in this equation.
Initially, the Vx and Vy are 30.0 m/s and 40.0 m/s respectively. I did the Pythagorean theorem and obtained V = 8.37m/s
try it again, you have an error here, it's v^2 = vx^2 + vy^2
Now

1/2mv^2 = mgh + 1/2mv^2

.5(.145kg)(8.37m/s)^2 = (.145kg)(9.80m/s^2)(53.6m) +1/2(.145kg)(18.6m/s)2 + [tex]Delta[/tex]Uinternal

-96.17J = Uinternal

?
correct your math error for v, and you should be OK. How about the downward journey? Watch your plus and minus signs.

Where does the work done by air go to? Initial? How would it be expressed in an equation?

Chandasouk said:
Where does the work done by air go to? Initial? How would it be expressed in an equation?
you will end up with the correct answer in the end when you correct the math, but your equations left off the work term or U_therm term initially, then you added it in later.
There are several ways to write the general Conservation of Energy equation. One of them is

[tex]KE_i + PE_i + W_{nc} = KE_f + PE_f [/tex] where [tex]W_{nc}[/tex] is the work done by all nonconservative forces like air resistance, friction, applied forces, etc. Another way is to write it

[tex] KE_i + PE_i + W_{applied forces} = KE_f + PE_f + U_{therm}[/tex] where [tex]U_{therm}[/tex] is the internal heat energy caused by the the work done by friction, air resistance, or other heat producing non-conservative forces. I like the first one better. There are other ways, like

[tex] W_{nc} = \Delta KE + \Delta PE [/tex], which is the same as the first equation in another form. As always, be sure to mind your plus and minus signs.

Last edited:
Doing the math correctly now

.5(.145kg)(50m/s/s)^2 = (.145kg)(9.80m/s^2)(53.6m) +1/2(.145kg)(18.6m/s)2 + LaTeX Code: Delta Uinternal

181.25J=101.2477J + [tex]\Delta[/tex]Uinternal

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Uinternal = 80.0023J

But my homework accepts it at -80.0023J. I'm guessing it is because friction always opposes so it would be negative work?

For the second part of the question: How much work was done by the air on the baseball as it moved from its maximum height back to the starting elevation?

Initial (Top) KE + PE = Final (Bottom) KE+ Uinternal

101.2477J = .5(.145kg)(31.069m/s)^2 + Uinternal

I got the 31.069m/s by

(11.96)^2+(28.7)^2=V^2

101.2477J = 69.98300017J + Uinternal

31.26J = Uinternal ?

Last edited:
Chandasouk said:
Doing the math correctly now

.5(.145kg)(50m/s/s)^2 = (.145kg)(9.80m/s^2)(53.6m) +1/2(.145kg)(18.6m/s)2 + LaTeX Code: Delta Uinternal

181.25J=101.2477J + [tex]\Delta[/tex]Uinternal

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Uinternal = 80.0023J

But my homework accepts it at -80.0023J. I'm guessing it is because friction always opposes so it would be negative work?
yes, that's one reason why i like the other form of the equation that uses work instead of thermal or internal energy; the minus sign takes care of itself that way.
For the second part of the question: How much work was done by the air on the baseball as it moved from its maximum height back to the starting elevation?

Initial (Top) KE + PE = Final (Bottom) KE+ Uinternal

101.2477J = .5(.145kg)(31.069m/s)^2 + Uinternal

I got the 31.069m/s by

(11.96)^2+(28.7)^2=V^2

101.2477J = 69.98300017J + Uinternal

31.26J = Uinternal ?
Oh there you go again, right number, wrong sign. What happened to the minus sign? :cry: The work done is negative, but i guess you consider the internal energy as positive, but the problem asks for the work, not energy.

1. What is "work done by air" on a baseball?

Work done by air on a baseball refers to the amount of energy transferred from the air to the baseball as it moves through the air. This energy can be in the form of kinetic energy, which determines the speed of the baseball, or potential energy, which determines the height of the baseball.

2. How does air affect the motion of a baseball?

As a baseball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance, which is a force that opposes the motion of the baseball. This air resistance can slow down the baseball and cause it to change direction.

3. Why is the work done by air on a baseball important?

The work done by air on a baseball is important because it affects the trajectory and speed of the baseball. This can impact the performance of the pitcher and the batter in a game of baseball.

4. How does the size and shape of a baseball affect the work done by air?

The size and shape of a baseball can greatly impact the work done by air on it. A larger and rounder baseball will experience more air resistance, causing it to slow down more quickly. On the other hand, a smaller and more streamlined baseball will experience less air resistance and can travel farther.

5. Can the work done by air on a baseball be calculated?

Yes, the work done by air on a baseball can be calculated using the principles of physics, such as the equations for air resistance and energy transfer. However, the exact calculation may be difficult due to factors such as wind and air density that can vary in a real-life game situation.