What is the Work Done by Friction in a Box Being Pushed by an External Force?

In summary, the given problem involves a 20-kg box on a rough horizontal surface, with a constant external force of 160 N (diagonally with an angle of 30°) applied. The box is pushed a distance of 8.0 m, in a time interval of 4.0 s, with a change in speed from V1 = 0.5 m/s to V2 = 2.6 m/s. The work done by friction is closest to -1040 J. To calculate this, we first find the net work, which is the change in kinetic energy, equal to 65.1 J. Then, using the equation W_net = W_p + W_friction, we can find
Legerity

Homework Statement

A constant external force P = 160 N (diagonally with an angle of 30) is applied to a 20-kg box, which is on a rough horizontal surface. The force pushes the box a distance of 8.0 m, in a time interval of 4.0 s, and the speed changes from V1 = 0.5 m/s to V2 = 2.6 m/s. The work done by friction is closest to:

A) 1040 J B) -1040 J C) -1170 J D) 1110 J E) 1170 J

Homework Equations

W = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a free-body diagram, but I am confused on how to find the frictional force to plug into the work equation.
So far, I have F_P = 160cos(30°), and F_P - f = 20a.
a = (2.6-0.5)/4 = 0.525 m/s^2, so 112.58 - f = 20(0.525) and f = 102.08.
W = (102.08)(8) = 816.64 J, but none of those are on the answers, so where did I go terribly wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, where did you get the 30 degrees?

Second, since you are not given a coeffiecient of friction, you won't be able to calculate the frictional force to plug into the work equation. YOu can, however, calculate the net work done, and the work done by the force.

Jesse H. said:
First, where did you get the 30 degrees?

Second, since you are not given a coeffiecient of friction, you won't be able to calculate the frictional force to plug into the work equation. YOu can, however, calculate the net work done, and the work done by the force.
Sorry, there is a figure given with the force P acting on the box diagonally with an angle of 30°. So what you are saying is that I can find the work done by the force, but not by friction?

There are two forces doing work in this problem. The force, p, and the the force of friction. There is also a net work. If you can find 2 of the 3 you can find the third.

Jesse H. said:
There are two forces doing work in this problem. The force, p, and the the force of friction. There is also a net work. If you can find 2 of the 3 you can find the third.
Okay, so I have the force of p (correct I hope), so could you guide me on how to find the net work? And how exactly would I use the two to find the frictional force? I am sorry, but my Physics lecturer is terrible, and I am really struggling in Physics.

Net work is defined by a change in Kinectic energy.

Net work would also be the sum of the all of the work done.

Also, I don't believe you need the time in this problem. There maybe a way to use it, you shouldn't NEED it.

Jesse H. said:
Net work is defined by a change in Kinectic energy.

Net work would also be the sum of the all of the work done.

Also, I don't believe you need the time in this problem. There maybe a way to use it, you shouldn't NEED it.
Okay, so now I have Wnet = ΔKE = 0.5(20)(2.6^2-0.5^2) = 65.1 J.

Using your second statement, I assumed Wnet = F + f, so 65.1 = 112.58 + f and f = -47.48 N.

W = F*d = (-47.48)(8) = -379.84 J

I am still doing something wrong hmm...

Wnet is the sum of the work done, not the forces. ##W_{net}=W_p+W_{friction}##

Otherwise, you're on the right track.

You wrote:
Legerity said:
So far, I have F_P = 130cos(30°), and F_P - f = 20a.

The question says 160 N as the force

Jesse H. said:
Wnet is the sum of the work done, not the forces. ##W_{net}=W_p+W_{friction}##

Otherwise, you're on the right track.
Using that I got ##65.1 = 900.67 + W_f##
##W_f = -835.57 J##
I am still doing something wrong...
I found ##W_P## by doing this: $$W_P = 130\cos 30\times 8 = 900.67 J$$

As phiz pointed out, you're using 130N as the force, where in the question it stated, 160N.

Jesse H. said:
As phiz pointed out, you're using 130N as the force, where in the question it stated, 160N.
My mistake I fixed it and got the correct answer! Thank you for all your help!

What is friction and how does it affect work?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It affects work by reducing the efficiency of a system, as some of the energy input is lost as heat due to friction.

How is work done by friction calculated?

The work done by friction can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the friction force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

What are some examples of work done by friction?

Some examples of work done by friction include rubbing your hands together to generate heat, using brakes on a bike to slow down, and using sandpaper to sand down a rough surface.

Can friction ever be beneficial in terms of work?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, friction is necessary for a car to move forward and for us to walk without slipping. Additionally, friction can be harnessed to generate heat, such as in car brakes or matches.

How can friction be reduced in order to increase work efficiency?

There are several ways to reduce friction, including using lubricants, smoothing surfaces, and using rolling instead of sliding motion. However, it's important to note that friction cannot be completely eliminated, as it is a necessary force for many everyday tasks.