Work done by load in charging a capacitor

In summary, both answers imply that energy is required to move charges against the already present charges on the capacitor plate. The first answer implies that this energy is lost as waste, while the second says that it's used to power the capacitor.
I read the original context of the question to be about energy. Circuit theory does not determine the forms of energy that are dissipated.
Anyway, i think it is now clear that there are 2 means of energy dissipation: Joule heating and electromagnetic radiation. Each can be represented by a 'resistance' term in any equation that is used to analyse the situation.
This question is bound to crop up again, it has already been posted at least once and it is to be hoped that due recognition of the means of energy dissipation will be given.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello true search.The two means of energy dissipation you refer to are linked together.Electrical energy is converted to heat due to the resistive parts of the circuit(Joule heating)and this heat is transferred to the surroundings. Radiation is just one of the mechanisms of heat transfer but conduction and convection also feature.Any losses due to inductive effects and or sparking depend on the geometry of the circuit and its surroundings.Usually such losses are small.

Dadface said:
Hello true search.The two means of energy dissipation you refer to are linked together.Electrical energy is converted to heat due to the resistive parts of the circuit(Joule heating)and this heat is transferred to the surroundings. Radiation is just one of the mechanisms of heat transfer but conduction and convection also feature.Any losses due to inductive effects and or sparking depend on the geometry of the circuit and its surroundings.Usually such losses are small.

Give him a break.
He introduced the idea of EM radiation -as in Radio Frequency Antennae - and he was perfectly right; I had forgotten all about that, earlier on. There will be plenty of circuit layouts in which that is the main cause of power dissipation.

Hello Dadface
It is wrong to think that radiation from a hot object is the same as electromagnetic radiation from the wire carrying a changing current.
They are both electromagnetic radiation but are produced in completely different physical processes. A level students need to realize how electromagnetic radiation from the whole spectrum is produced and this means recognising the different physical mechanisms.
I don't think there is much more that can be added to this thread.

Hi truesearch.There has been some misunderstanding here.A current,whether it changes or not,will produce heating which then results in electromagnetic radiation mainly in the infra red region of the spectrum.In addition to this a changing current also produce "electromagnetic radiation" as you referred to it above.THis radiation is mainly in the long wavelength radio band region of the spectrum and involves electromagnetic induction both self and mutual.The point I was making above is that though present these inductive losses are generally very small and for many practical purposes,I suppose, can be considered as negligible when compared to the Joule heating losses.
I would like to add that it is not only A level students who need to be familiar with the em spectrum this topic also coming up in AS and GCSE and other courses

truesearch was not simply talking about electromagnetic waves being given off as one of the forms of heat transfer. (But after reading through this thread, it looks like several people have mistakenly thought this is what he meant).

What truesearch was actually talking about is the full energy stored in the electromagnetic field. So this takes account of all the energy which is supplied to the circuit.

It is all in the pdf link he gave in page 2. What they basically are saying is that half of the energy flows into the capacitor and the other half goes into the rest of the circuit. So it doesn't specify if the other half is lost as ohmic heating or whatever, it shows that half will go to the rest of the circuit, for whatever purpose (heating or otherwise).

EDIT: just to summarise, probably the easiest derivation is to just assume there is some resistor in the circuit, and calculate that half the energy is lost due to ohmic heating in that resistor. But the derivation in the pdf link is more general, because it does not mention the resistor. Both derivations come up with the same result.

Last edited:
The weakest link, the place where most of the energy is dissipated is often the switch. The switch is often ignored and assumed to be ideal, that is instantly transitioning from ∞ to 0 Ohms resistance. In practice there is always transition region where the resistance is finite. In many cases the charging will mostly be done while the switch is still in transit. And yes, the switch can dissipate energy in all sorts of ways, producing heat, sparks and EMI.

BruceW said:
truesearch was not simply talking about electromagnetic waves being given off as one of the forms of heat transfer. (But after reading through this thread, it looks like several people have mistakenly thought this is what he meant).

What truesearch was actually talking about is the full energy stored in the electromagnetic field. So this takes account of all the energy which is supplied to the circuit.

It is all in the pdf link he gave in page 2. What they basically are saying is that half of the energy flows into the capacitor and the other half goes into the rest of the circuit. So it doesn't specify if the other half is lost as ohmic heating or whatever, it shows that half will go to the rest of the circuit, for whatever purpose (heating or otherwise).

EDIT: just to summarise, probably the easiest derivation is to just assume there is some resistor in the circuit, and calculate that half the energy is lost due to ohmic heating in that resistor. But the derivation in the pdf link is more general, because it does not mention the resistor. Both derivations come up with the same result.

Other methods such as the one exemplified by DaleSpams post number 31 come up with the same result that "half" the energy is lost.With this method it is shown that the energy dissipated is independant of R.If that is true then it should also be true as R tends to zero.

The method used in the link goes to that limit and assumes one resistance,only namely that the wires are superconducting.If zero resistance is to be assumed then the capacitor plates must be superconducting also and we can have the situation where the wires and capacitor plates are indistinguishable from each other.We will have an ideal power supply passing an "infinite" current for "zero" time,a pure thought experiment which works because the energy dissipated is independant of R.To my mind methods of the type used by DaleSpam are far more satisfactory and general.

Delta Kilo said:
The weakest link, the place where most of the energy is dissipated is often the switch. The switch is often ignored and assumed to be ideal, that is instantly transitioning from ∞ to 0 Ohms resistance. In practice there is always transition region where the resistance is finite. In many cases the charging will mostly be done while the switch is still in transit. And yes, the switch can dissipate energy in all sorts of ways, producing heat, sparks and EMI.

I would agree that energy is lost due to sparking.To calculate that energy is a rather thorny problem depending ,amongst other things,on the nature of the air/medium between the switch contacts.

Dadface said:
With this method it is shown that the energy dissipated is independant of R.If that is true then it should also be true as R tends to zero.
Exactly my point. I guess I should have stated it explicitly like you did. Thank you.

yes, the two methods are almost equivalent. It is good that there is more than one way to do this derivation. I'm not sure if it has been said already, but the method which dalespam explained is better for a-level, since I don't think students have been introduced to the Poynting vector that early on?

Edit: also, for the derivation using the Poynting vector, the circuit doesn't need to be superconducting. I think they just used that example to show that the energy is not necessarily lost due to a resistor.

Last edited:
What A level students like to see is experimental evidence of electro magnetic radiation.
I demonstrate the radiation coming from the connecting wires when I do this topic.
I use an oscilloscope and tomorrow I will set it up and try to take a photograph of the oscilloscope display. If it works I will post the photographs for further discussion.

sweet. onegai shimasu, as the japanese say (not sure if i spelled it right). ps the translation is something like 'if you please'

EDIT: the phrase might be yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Last edited:
truesearch said:
What A level students like to see is experimental evidence of electro magnetic radiation.
I demonstrate the radiation coming from the connecting wires when I do this topic.
I use an oscilloscope and tomorrow I will set it up and try to take a photograph of the oscilloscope display. If it works I will post the photographs for further discussion.

Interestingly that's sort of how Faraday discovered em induction all those years ago.His transmitting circuit was a coil connected to a battery and a switch and his receiving circuit a second coil connected to a galvanometer.Not only was it a demonstration of wireless transmission but it was also the first transformer.

Whilst there is no doubt that some power is radiated due to electromagnetic induction, I might point out that, without some considerable trouble in the circuit layout design, it would be hard to radiate more than a very small fraction of that which is dissipated 'ohmically' (owch - sorry about that word). Your average piece of metal / wire is a very inefficient radiator, which is why they pay antennas engineers vast sums to design efficient antenna systems. Just because you can detect it, doesn't mean there is much of it. Thermal energy loss will be the major one in nearly all circumstances. Actual circuit size and matching would need to be just right for an 'RF' efficiency of more than a few %.

Sooo confused!

I have attached photographs of the demonstration of em radiation from the connecting wires in the capacitor circuit.
The first picture shows the components, the powersupply is a square wave signal generator to charge and discharge the capacitor. The variable resistor is 0-15Ω.
The black wire is one of the current carrying leads in the capacitor circuit and the yellow wire is the 'pickup' coil.
The second photo is the square wave supply and the third photo is what is picked up by the yellow coil from the black wire. I passed the black wire through the coil several times to obtain a trace that could be photographed. There is a trace with the coil just sitting on the straight wire.
When the resistance is decreased the pickup increases (current is greater)
There is 'something' passing from the current carrying wire to the coil and this is energy being lost from the capacitor circuit.
There are essentially 2 means of dissipating the 0.5QV of energy...(1) Joule heating due to resistance (2) electromagnetic (radio) radiation from the wire as a result of the changing current. The 2 together account for the missing energy.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 338
  • squwave.jpg
    squwave.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 318
  • trace.jpg
    trace.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 236
Very interesting and not at all surprising that you can 'detect' some radiated RF. We have established that there is some. But do you actually know (how can you?) how much Power is being radiated by this mechanism and how do you know how much Power is being dissipated by resistive elements in the rest of the circuit? Do you actually know the resistance in the circuit? What about the output impedance of the sig genny at your operating frequency?
Introducing the idea of superconductivity is a complete red herring because there are NO power sources with zero internal resistance - even if there are some superconducting wires involved in the rest of the circuit.
If all the 'extra' power is being coupled out into space then you have achieved a remarkable feat.

sophiecentaur said:
Very interesting and not at all surprising that you can 'detect' some radiated RF. We have established that there is some. But do you actually know (how can you?) how much Power is being radiated by this mechanism and how do you know how much Power is being dissipated by resistive elements in the rest of the circuit? Do you actually know the resistance in the circuit? What about the output impedance of the sig genny at your operating frequency?
Introducing the idea of superconductivity is a complete red herring because there are NO power sources with zero internal resistance - even if there are some superconducting wires involved in the rest of the circuit.
If all the 'extra' power is being coupled out into space then you have achieved a remarkable feat.

I did not realize anyone answered the q...seems like lots of people had fun but I just want to check what I asked first time
anyway to summarise MY initial question:
- work done by power source = QV
- energy stored = 1/2*QV
- missing energy is transferred to wires

right?

jsmith613 said:
I did not realize anyone answered the q...seems like lots of people had fun but I just want to check what I asked first time
anyway to summarise MY initial question:
- work done by power source = QV
- energy stored = 1/2*QV
- missing energy is transferred to wires

right?

Exactly. And if there are other components in the circuit, some of the missing energy will also be transferred to them.

the missing energy is dissipated (lost) from the wires
There are 2 clear means of dissipating energy
1) resistance of wires (joule heating)...could be as near zero as you want to get
2) electromagnetic radiation from the wires...can never be zero if the current is changing.

Last edited: