Work done by rectangular wire loop with current in magnetic field

In summary, a rectangular wire loop carrying current I is centered on the origin and rotated from θ = 0° to θ = 60° in a uniform external magnetic field B pointing in the +x direction. The work done in this rotation is calculated using the equation -(I * Area * B * cos(theta)) and the work done by the field is positive because it is in the same direction as the displacement of the loop, increasing its potential energy. The correct answer for the magnitude of work is 9.09 x 10^-5 J.
syhpui2

Homework Statement

A rectangular wire loop of height h and width w, centered on the origin, carries current I in the direction shown in the figure. The angle between the positive x-axis and the plane of the loop is θ, defined as shown in the figure below. (When θ = 0 the loop lies in the x-z plane.) This entire region of space is filled with a uniform external magnetic field B pointing in the +x direction.

http://i.imgur.com/4V960.png

4V960.png

Part A
The magnitude of the work, |W|, involved in the rotation of the loop from θ = 0° to θ = 60° is:
(a) |W| = 9.09 × 10-5 J Correct Answer
(b) |W| = 2.37 × 10-4 J
(c) |W| = 4.25 × 10-4 J
(d) |W| = 5.87 × 10-4 J
(e) |W| = 8.13 × 10-4 J

Part B
When the loop rotates from θ = 0° to θ = 60°, the external magnetic field
(a) does no work on the loop.
(b) does positive work on the loop. Correct Answer
(c) does negative work on the loop.

Homework Equations

U= - dipole moment B cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A,
I tried

-( I * Area * B * cos(60)) - (-( I * Area * B * cos(0))) , however, it is wrong answer.

For part B,
I am confused about the work done by field (W) and the energy (U), what is difference?
How do I know a work is positive or negative in this case?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

For part A, the correct equation to use is -(I * Area * B * cos(60)) - (-(I * Area * B * cos(0))). However, you need to make sure that the angle theta is in radians, not degrees. So the equation should be -(I * Area * B * cos(pi/3)) - (-(I * Area * B * cos(0))). This should give you the correct answer of 9.09 x 10^-5 J.

For part B, the work done by the external magnetic field is positive because it is in the same direction as the displacement of the loop. This means that the field is doing positive work on the loop, increasing its energy and causing it to rotate. The energy in this case is potential energy, or the energy stored in the loop due to its position in the magnetic field. The work done by the field is the change in potential energy, which is why it is positive in this case.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your research!

Related to Work done by rectangular wire loop with current in magnetic field

1. What is the formula for calculating work done by a rectangular wire loop with current in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating work done by a rectangular wire loop with current in a magnetic field is W = IABsinθ, where W is the work done, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector to the loop.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the work done by a rectangular wire loop in a magnetic field?

The direction of the current does not affect the magnitude of the work done. However, it does affect the direction of the work done. If the current is in the same direction as the magnetic field, the work done will be positive. If the current is in the opposite direction, the work done will be negative.

3. What is the significance of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector to the loop in the work done calculation?

The angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector to the loop, θ, determines the efficiency of the work done. When θ is 90 degrees, the work done is maximum. When θ is 0 or 180 degrees, the work done is 0.

4. Can the work done by a rectangular wire loop with current in a magnetic field be negative?

Yes, the work done can be negative if the current is in the opposite direction of the magnetic field. This means that the energy is being taken away from the system rather than being added to it.

5. How can the work done by a rectangular wire loop with current in a magnetic field be applied in real-life situations?

The work done by a rectangular wire loop with current in a magnetic field has many practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators. It is also used in devices like speakers and headphones, where the changing magnetic field causes the loop to vibrate and create sound waves.