Work done with free body released

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a physics problem where a block with mass m is attached to a spring and hangs vertically. The equation for potential energy and kinetic energy were provided, but the value for v was missing. The solution was to set v to 0 at maximum extension and use the free body diagram to find the common acceleration. This would allow for finding the work done by the masses, which would equal the potential energy stored in the spring.
jack1234
I have a question here
http://tinyurl.com/2kgeun

My attempts is
mgx=(1/2)*kx^2 + (1/2)mv^2
where mgx is the potential energy of block m
and (1/2)mv^2 is kinetic energy of block 2m.
But this does not seem to work, because we don't have the value v.

May I know how to solve it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jack1234 said:
I have a question here
http://tinyurl.com/2kgeun

My attempts is
where mgx is the potential energy of block m
and (1/2)mv^2 is kinetic energy of block 2m.
But this does not seem to work, because we don't have the value v.

May I know how to solve it?

you have the right equation... v is 0 when the object reaches maximum extension... because at this point, the hanging M mass will change from going downward to going upward.

Draw the free body diagram for M and 2M. From that find the common accelaration. Now work done the masses = potential energy stored in the spring. i.e. 3Max = 1/2*kx^2

Thanks, rl.bhat, but I still getting the correct answer(22cm) if sub v=0 in
as mentioned by learningphysics.

1. What is "work done with free body released"?

"Work done with free body released" is a term used in physics to describe the amount of energy required to move an object when it is released from a state of rest. This concept is also known as gravitational potential energy.

2. How is work done with free body released calculated?

The formula for calculating work done with free body released is W = mgh, where W represents work, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the object is released from. This formula only applies to objects near the surface of the Earth.

3. Can work done with free body released be negative?

Yes, work done with free body released can be negative. This occurs when the object is released from a higher height and ends up at a lower height. In this case, the gravitational potential energy decreases and is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a negative value for work done.

4. What are some real-life examples of work done with free body released?

A classic example of work done with free body released is throwing a ball into the air. When the ball is released, it moves upwards due to the force of gravity, and work is done to overcome this force. Another example is a rollercoaster going down a steep hill, where the potential energy of the coaster is converted into kinetic energy as it accelerates downwards.

5. How is work done with free body released related to the conservation of energy?

Work done with free body released is related to the conservation of energy through the principle of conservation of mechanical energy. This principle states that the total amount of mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) in a system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. Therefore, the work done with free body released is equal to the change in mechanical energy of the object.