Work Energy and Power Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 5 kg ball being tossed into the air with an initial velocity of 6m/s. The summary includes the equations used to solve the problem and the resulting answers for parts a and b. There is also a brief clarification about the role of initial velocity in the equation and the difficulty of solving problems related to kinetic energy and power.
pinnacleprouk
Thanks in advance, I just want to double check!

Homework Statement

A 5 kg ball is tossed into the air with an initial velocity of 6m/s.
a) What is the kinetic energy of the ball?
b) If the power delivered to the ball was 100watts, over what time interval did
the power delivery occur?

Homework Equations

K.E = 1/2 mV*2

P = E/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a)... using K.E = 1/2 mV*2 answer is 90J

b)... using P = E/t answer is 0.9s

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good!

But I am a bit confuesd, is initial velocity is equal to velocity in the equation?In other words, can we plug the value of initial v in v in the equation? Shouldn't we try to get velocity?

stanton said:
But I am a bit confuesd, is initial velocity is equal to velocity in the equation?In other words, can we plug the value of initial v in v in the equation? Shouldn't we try to get velocity?
The velocity is given. It's the velocity of the ball immediately after leaving the hand.

Thanks for the replies

Now I get it. :) Thanks! I am having difficulty with treating problems related to kinetic energy and power.

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy when a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the applied force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J), which is equivalent to a force of one newton (N) acting over a distance of one meter (m).

4. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Energy is the ability to do work, and work is the transfer of energy. In other words, when work is done on an object, its energy changes.

5. How is power related to work and energy?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is calculated by dividing work by time. In other words, power measures how quickly work is done or energy is transferred.