1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Procedure

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A parallel plate capacitor is changed to an electric potential of 334V by moving 3.78e16 electrons from one plate to the other. How much work is charging the capacitor?

2. Relevant equations
    Delta V= Delta PE/ q
    c=q/v

3. The attempt at a solution
    Delta V= Delta PE/ q
    rearrange to q * PE = 3.78E16 *334= 1.26E19

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What fraction of a coulomb is the 3.78*1016 electrons of charge?

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't like the look of your "Delta V= Delta PE/ q" in this case. Due to the fact that the V changes as charge is added to the capacitor, you get a slightly more complicated formula for the energy of the charged capacitor: E = 0.5*Q*V. Roughly speaking, you use the average V so you get a factor of 0.5. Check it out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

Here you have rearranged incorrectly. Also, you have entered the charge in non-standard units. The charge is given as a certain number of electron charges, and this number must be multiplied by the charge in Coulombs on one electron.

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4
    i think i should be the same where 1 j/c is = to 1 Ev, so ur saying the formula can't be done? (E=.5*q*v)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook