1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work to move Electron & Nuetron

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton, an alpha particle, an electron, and a neutron are at rest at the corners of a square whose side length is 4.00×10^-10 m with the electron and neutron at opposite corners.

How minimum an amount of work must be done to move the particles far from each other?

2. Relevant equations

Use 8.85×10^-12 F/m for the permittivity of free space and 1.60×10^-19 C for the charge on an electron.

[tex] KE_{i} = PE_{f} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {1} {2} * m_{p} * v_{i}^2 = \frac {1} {4*pi*8.85*10^{-12}} * \frac {Q^2} {R} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not exactly sure what we're trying to solve for. I was wondering if someone could clarify the problem
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2007 #2
    You do not have to consider K.E. here.
    THere are oppositely charged particles near each other. HOW much energy is required to seperate this configuration from the present state to a new state where al charges are inf. far away from each other.
  4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    I'm a little confused, is there an equation I can follow?
  5. Feb 24, 2007 #4
    What equation can I start from to figure out this problem?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?