1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working with springs

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    Spring force always creates a doubt in my mind...

My question is that..

When two masses say m1 and m2 are connected to each other via a massless spring....
    m2 is ahead of m1...
    if we push the block m1 towards m2 ..say with a force F..then what exactly will happen??

What i think is that the force F will cause m1 to accelerate ..a compression will be produced in the spring ..and the spring will in turn exert a force on m1 and m2 both..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but it might get a bit complicated. If it goes from no force to a steady force F then I expect there will be some oscillation in the system.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3

But we can still relate the accelerations of m2 with that of m1..can't we??..

F is a steady force...

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure. Can you write the equations?

6. Oct 13, 2012 #5
    perhaps, perhaps not....m1 may not even move....unless work is done.

equations,and even some derivations, can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_constant

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6
    The suraces are frictionless and the spring is massless...both the masses will surely accelerate...

@haruspex : I could not write equation ...

Im not able to understand what is going to happen if we exert a force on m1...wat the spring will do after that...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook