Working with Springs: What Happens When Mass m1 is Pushed?

• Thread starter D_DaYwAlKeR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, when two masses are connected to each other via a massless spring, m2 is ahead of m1. If we apply a force to m1, the spring will produce a compression and the masses will both accelerate.
D_DaYwAlKeR
Spring force always creates a doubt in my mind...

My question is that..

When two masses say m1 and m2 are connected to each other via a massless spring...
m2 is ahead of m1...
if we push the block m1 towards m2 ..say with a force F..then what exactly will happen??

What i think is that the force F will cause m1 to accelerate ..a compression will be produced in the spring ..and the spring will in turn exert a force on m1 and m2 both..

Physics news on Phys.org
D_DaYwAlKeR said:
When two masses say m1 and m2 are connected to each other via a massless spring...
m2 is ahead of m1...
if we push the block m1 towards m2 ..say with a force F..then what exactly will happen??

What i think is that the force F will cause m1 to accelerate ..a compression will be produced in the spring ..and the spring will in turn exert a force on m1 and m2 both..

Yes, but it might get a bit complicated. If it goes from no force to a steady force F then I expect there will be some oscillation in the system.

haruspex said:
Yes, but it might get a bit complicated. If it goes from no force to a steady force F then I expect there will be some oscillation in the system.

But we can still relate the accelerations of m2 with that of m1..can't we??..

F is a steady force...

D_DaYwAlKeR said:
But we can still relate the accelerations of m2 with that of m1..can't we??..

F is a steady force...

Sure. Can you write the equations?

What i think is that the force F will cause m1 to accelerate

perhaps, perhaps not...m1 may not even move...unless work is done.

equations,and even some derivations, can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_constant

Naty1 said:
perhaps, perhaps not...m1 may not even move...unless work is done.

equations,and even some derivations, can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_constant

The suraces are frictionless and the spring is massless...both the masses will surely accelerate...

@haruspex : I could not write equation ...

Im not able to understand what is going to happen if we exert a force on m1...wat the spring will do after that...

1. What is the relationship between the mass of m1 and the movement of the spring?

The mass of m1 directly affects the movement of the spring. As the mass increases, so does the force required to compress or stretch the spring, resulting in a greater displacement of the spring.

2. How does the force applied to m1 affect the spring?

The force applied to m1 affects the spring by causing it to compress or stretch, depending on the direction of the force. This displacement of the spring is directly proportional to the applied force, according to Hooke's Law.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in this scenario?

The spring constant, denoted by k, represents the stiffness of the spring. It is a measure of how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain length. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring that requires more force to produce the same amount of displacement.

4. How does the direction of the applied force affect the movement of the spring?

The direction of the applied force determines the direction in which the spring will move. When the force is applied in the same direction as the spring's natural position, it will compress. Conversely, when the force is applied in the opposite direction, the spring will stretch.

5. Can the movement of m1 be used to calculate the displacement of the spring?

Yes, the movement of m1 can be used to calculate the displacement of the spring. This can be done using the equation F = kx, where F is the force applied to m1, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for x and determine the displacement of the spring.