X and Y coordinates (in m) to acceleration.

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of acceleration given the X and Y coordinates of a point in terms of time. The relevant equations of motion are not helpful in this case, and instead, the basic definition of acceleration must be used. The acceleration in both the X and Y directions must be calculated and then combined using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude.
Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you mentioned are actually irrelevant and they don't help at all. What you really need is to use the basic definition of acceleration. First you find acceleration in x and y direction and then use Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude (acceleration is a vector!).

Thank you, I wasn't sure so I posted the equations I have been using for all of my other problems.

I was able to find the correct answer using this help. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between X and Y coordinates and acceleration?

The X and Y coordinates refer to the position of an object in a two-dimensional space, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity of that object. The relationship between the two is that the acceleration is determined by the change in position (distance) over time in both the X and Y directions.

2. How do you calculate acceleration from X and Y coordinates?

To calculate acceleration from X and Y coordinates, you would need to measure the change in position (distance) in both the X and Y directions over a certain period of time. Then, you can use the formula acceleration = change in velocity / time to determine the acceleration in each direction.

3. What do the units of X and Y coordinates represent?

The units of X and Y coordinates represent distance in meters (m). These coordinates are typically used in a Cartesian coordinate system to locate the position of an object in a two-dimensional space.

4. Can X and Y coordinates be negative?

Yes, X and Y coordinates can be negative. In a Cartesian coordinate system, the origin (0,0) is located at the center, and coordinates to the right and above the origin are positive, while those to the left and below are negative. This allows for a full range of motion and positions for an object.

5. How do X and Y coordinates affect acceleration?

X and Y coordinates do not directly affect acceleration. Instead, acceleration is determined by the change in position (distance) over time in both the X and Y directions. However, the position and direction of an object can impact the acceleration, as different positions and directions may result in different changes in distance over time.