XLR Port Negative Pin: ZRL & Ground Explained

In summary, the negative wire on a scooter battery pack is not connected to the ground pin, and the return path is synonymous with zero reference level.
moriah
TL;DR Summary
I’m trying to understand the basics of the wiring inside the battery pack of my scooter. It uses a standard 3 pin XLR port, but I’m not sure why the negative pin is not attached to a wire. From my research on forums like this one, I gather that the negative wire can be attached to the ground pin (pin 1), because the return path is somehow synonymous with zero reference level.
Is zero reference level synonymous with the return path of a current, i.e., the negative wire? If so, where a ZRL is being used by a circuit, is the ground pin and the negative pin in a XLR port the same thing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
moriah said:
Summary:: I’m trying to understand the basics of the wiring inside the battery pack of my scooter. It uses a standard 3 pin XLR port, but I’m not sure why the negative pin is not attached to a wire. From my research on forums like this one, I gather that the negative wire can be attached to the ground pin (pin 1), because the return path is somehow synonymous with zero reference level.

Is zero reference level synonymous with the return path of a current, i.e., the negative wire? If so, where a ZRL is being used by a circuit, is the ground pin and the negative pin in a XLR port the same thing?
Welcome to PF.

What scooter? Do you have a datasheet for the battery pack? Do you have a wiring diagram for the scooter?

It sounds like they just used an XLR connector for the mechanical convenience and only connected the +/- battery terminals to the two non-ground pins. There is no need for a shield like you might have in audio applications of the XLR connector, so no connection was made to that pin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

1634755583480.png

Likes DaveE and dlgoff
From what I understand, the ground pin is pin #1. That pin is connected to a wire, and so is pin #2. Pin #3 which stands apart from the other two, is not connected to a wire. It is a Rascal 140 T.
205F566B-2F07-41B7-B2E7-CEC31C1E3B48.jpeg

Again, it looks like they must have used the XLR connector for robust mechanical convenience. A battery only has two terminals so their choice of how to assign those two connections to the 3-pin XLR connector is a bit arbitrary.

A battery charger connector can involve other connections, if there is an intelligent battery charger circuit (like with cell phones and other USB device charging systems). That does not seem to be what is going on with your scooter, right? :smile:

Likes davenn
The pinout you describe seems pretty standard. A neighbor has a powered wheelchair that has an XLR connector for charging. The battery is connected to the two outer pins, 1&3 of a 3-pin XLR.

A quick look at data sheets shows Current Rating of 15A to 16A and 50VAC Voltage rating. They seem like a good choice with rating, mechanical strength, and positive, locking mating.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes dlgoff
What would happen if I disconnected the wire from pin 1, and just connected pin 2 and 3 to wires? Because it is most likely a zero reference level ground, I would think that connecting pin 1 would be unnecessary.

No it’s not a smart charger.🙂

moriah said:
What would happen if I disconnected the wire from pin 1, and just connected pin 2 and 3 to wires? Because it is most likely a zero reference level ground, I would think that connecting pin 1 would be unnecessary.
You would be modifying a design that you do not understand in an unknown, likely inappropriate, way; with no known benefit.

The wiring diagram you supplied shows connections to all 3 XLR pins. I doubt that the manufacturer would expend both the time and material cost for anything that didn't have a purpose.

If you decide to proceed, I hope you have spare parts on hand -- and the ability to troubleshoot enough to replace the appropriate part(s).

I agree. I’m just going to try to follow the diagram. I’m just wondering how the scooter has been able to operate for so long without the diagram being followed.

1. What is the purpose of the XLR port negative pin?

The XLR port negative pin is used to carry the audio signal's negative polarity. This helps to balance the audio signal and reduce noise interference.

2. What does ZRL stand for in relation to the XLR port negative pin?

ZRL stands for "Zero Reference Level" and refers to the ground connection in the XLR port. It is used to provide a reference point for the audio signal and maintain signal integrity.

3. How does the XLR port ground connection work?

The XLR port ground connection is used to provide a path for any stray electrical currents to flow to the ground, preventing them from interfering with the audio signal. It also helps to reduce noise and hum in the audio signal.

4. Can the XLR port negative pin and ground connection be used interchangeably?

No, the XLR port negative pin and ground connection serve different purposes and cannot be used interchangeably. The negative pin carries the audio signal's negative polarity, while the ground connection provides a reference point and helps to reduce noise interference.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with the XLR port negative pin and ground connection?

If you are experiencing issues with the XLR port negative pin and ground connection, you can try checking the connections and ensuring they are secure. You can also try using a different cable or testing the equipment with a different audio source to see if the issue persists.