Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem

In summary: In the slow pull case, the weight of the object is causing the upper string to tension. In the second case, the object is being pushed by the force of the yank, and Newton's second law is in effect. Newton's second law says that the force applied to an object is a function of the object's acceleration and the time period over which the force is applied. Newton's second law is what tells us that the force applied to an object is constant over a given time period.
KolosoK
[SOLVED] Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem

Homework Statement

A heavy object (of mass ~10kg) hangs from a hook by a light string. There is another light string of equal configuration (mass, length, etc) hanging down from the object. Pulling on the string slowly will cause the top string to rupture and the object will fall. However, yanking on the string will cause the bottom string to break and the object will remain suspended by the top string.

Homework Equations

a = F/m (all I have so far)

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor mentioned that the following could be involved in the explanation of the solution: kinematics, Newton's second law, the fact that macroscopic objects undergo deformation to create a force, and breaking tension. Here's what I got so far:

http://i29.tinypic.com/119b32d.jpg

(Sorry for the poor quality, my camera is not that good)

I drew separate graphs for the yanking and the pulling. In the yanking graph, the tension of the lower string reaches breaking tension first. In the pulling graph, the tension in both strings increase at an equal rate, until the top string reaches the breaking tension first. The top string has more initial tension than the bottom string because the object is hanging on it, and it's weight is causing the tension.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your graphs look very good. For the 'slow pull' case, you're on the right track, but you should talk a bit more how Newton 1 comes into play here (it's more than the weight that causes the upper string tension as the lower string is pulled). For the second case, it is indeed Newton 2 in effect, but you've got to explain more about the deformations of the non-rigid strings. And the magnitude of the acceleration under the impulsive force which acts over a very short time period.

Last edited:
Alright, I think I figured it out, thanks!

how does kinematics play into this magical phenomenon?

1. What is the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem"?

The "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem" refers to a physics problem that involves determining the tension in a string when it is pulled at both ends with different forces. It is often used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a string for the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem"?

To calculate the tension in a string for the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem", you will need to use the following formula: T = (F1 + F2)/2, where T is the tension and F1 and F2 are the forces applied at each end of the string.

3. What are the factors that affect the tension in a string for the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem"?

The tension in a string for the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem" is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the forces applied at each end, the length and mass of the string, and the angle at which the string is pulled.

4. How does the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem" relate to real-life situations?

The "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem" can be seen in many real-life situations, such as when a person pulls a rope or a tug-of-war game. It also applies to situations involving pulleys and other systems where tension plays a crucial role.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem"?

One of the most common misconceptions about the "Yank and Pull - String Tension Problem" is that the tension is always equal to the sum of the applied forces. In reality, the tension can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. Another misconception is that the tension is always in the direction of the forces, but it can also act in the opposite direction in some cases.