Year 12 EEI - Cathode Ray Tube

In summary, the conversation is about a student's physics EEI and their need to develop an experiment with changeable variables. They mention having a cathode ray tube similar to one shown in a video and ask for ideas on what variables could be changed. A suggestion is made to change the anode voltage and apply orthogonal B-fields across the neck of the tube, but there is also a concern about the lack of X-ray shielding.
nick leigh
For my year 12 physics EEI (extended experimental investigation) i need to develop some sort of experiment with variables i can change to retrieve data from. I have a basic cathode ray tube from a few months ago much like the one in this video: . Does anyone have any idea of what variables i could change with this experiment? (Sorry for my english. it's my second language)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
nick leigh said:
For my year 12 physics EEI (extended experimental investigation) i need to develop some sort of experiment with variables i can change to retrieve data from. I have a basic cathode ray tube from a few months ago much like the one in this video: . Does anyone have any idea of what variables i could change with this experiment? (Sorry for my english. it's my second language)

Thank you

Welcome to the PF.

You can change the anode voltage while applying different magnitudes of orthogonal B-fields across the neck of the CRT...

BTW, what accelerating voltage are you planning on using? That bottle looks to be missing any X-ray shielding...

1. What is a cathode ray tube (CRT)?

A cathode ray tube is a vacuum tube that produces images by manipulating beams of electrons onto a fluorescent screen. It was commonly used in older television sets and computer monitors.

2. How does a cathode ray tube work?

A cathode ray tube works by using a cathode (negatively charged electrode) at one end, and an anode (positively charged electrode) at the other. When a voltage is applied, it creates a flow of electrons from the cathode to the anode. These electrons are then focused and directed by magnetic fields onto a fluorescent screen, creating an image.

3. What are the components of a cathode ray tube?

A cathode ray tube is composed of a cathode, anode, electron guns, focusing and deflection coils, and a fluorescent screen. The electron guns emit and control the electron beams, the coils focus and deflect the beams, and the screen displays the image.

4. What are the advantages of using a cathode ray tube?

One advantage of using a cathode ray tube is its ability to display high quality images with good resolution and color. It also has a fast response time, making it suitable for applications such as gaming and video playback. Additionally, CRTs are relatively inexpensive compared to other display technologies.

5. What are the disadvantages of using a cathode ray tube?

One major disadvantage of using a cathode ray tube is its size and weight. CRTs are bulky and heavy, making them difficult to transport and limiting their use in smaller devices. They also consume more power compared to other display technologies. Additionally, CRTs are known to produce radiation, although modern CRTs have safety measures in place to minimize exposure.