Yes, the charge should be placed 0.012 m to the right of the -q charge.

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a third charge +Q in order for it to experience a zero force. The solution involves setting the overall force equal to zero and solving for the distance r, resulting in two possible values. The conversation also mentions an error in the second step of the solution and provides a different method for solving the problem. Ultimately, it is concluded that the charge should be 6 cm from +2q (3 cm to the right of the -q charge).
mlostrac

Homework Statement

A charge of +2q is placed at the origin and a second charge of –q is placed at
x = 3.0 cm. Where can a third charge +Q be placed so that it experiences a zero
force?I think I've found the solution, I just need someone to verify why the math is the way it is at the end.

1) The overall force acting on the the new charge must equal zero, therefore I set them equal to each other:

k (2q x Q)/(r^2) = k (q x Q)/(r-0.03)^2

(r - 0.03)^2 = r^2 (2q x Q)/(q x Q)

(r - 0.03)^2 = 2r^2

r - 0.03 = +/- 1.414r

-0.03 = -2.414r
r = .0124

OR

-0.03 = 0.414r
r = -.072So would this mean that the charge would be .012 metres to the right of the negative charge? (Assuming that -q is placed 3 cm to the right of +2q)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, one more thing.

I'm just confused because my textbook shows you how to do a similar problem, and I don't understand why they don't use one of the variables to determine the answer.

For example:

the "r" in (r - 0.03) doesn't come into play in their answer because they just divide 1.414 by 0.03 giving a different answer than what I found. Why don't they use the "r" from (r - 0.03) like I do in my answer?

bump*

Note that force (or electric field) is a vector. For two forces to cancel out, not only should they have the same magnitude but they should point in opposite directions.

So, you cannot have the point in between the two charges.

You have made an error in your second step.
[tex]\frac{2q}{{r}^{2}} = \frac{q}{(r-3)}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]2{(r-3)}^{2} = {r}^{2}[/tex]

That'll give you two values of r, of which only one can be possible.

Conceptually, it should make sense that the new charge should be farther from the double charge ...
but how may TIMES farther? 1.414x farther, right?
So, the distance from the far charge is 1.414 * near , but far - near = 3cm,
so : far - 1.414 * far = 0.03m = far (1 - 1.414) .

that is, they isolated all the "r" terms in a ratio on one side, with their relationship factor on the other. [and most folks would rather add than subtract : (r+3)/r = 1.414 ]

Hmm, I'm wondering if I went about this all wrong.

My original answer was following the steps of a similar question in my text, but I have re-thought it out and maybe I'm making it more difficult then it should be. Here's a diffeernt solution:

k (2Qq)/(r+3)^2 = k (qq)/r^2
2Qq(r^2) = qq (r+3)^2
2r^2 = r^2 + 9
r^2 = 9
r = 3

Does that make sense? So essentially, the charge would be 6 cm from +2q (3 cm to the right of the -q charge)

1. How can the position of the charge affect the overall electric field?

The position of a charge can have a significant impact on the strength and direction of the electric field. In this scenario, placing the charge 0.012 m to the right of the -q charge will result in an electric field that is directed towards the right.

2. Why is the distance between charges important in determining the electric field?

The distance between charges plays a crucial role in determining the strength of the electric field. In this case, placing the charge at a specific distance of 0.012 m ensures that the electric field is not too strong or weak, resulting in a balanced and stable system.

3. How does the sign of the charge affect its position in relation to other charges?

The sign of a charge determines its polarity, which is an essential factor in determining its position in relation to other charges. In this case, the charge is placed to the right of the -q charge because it has an opposite polarity, resulting in an attractive force between the two charges.

4. Can the position of the charge be changed to achieve a different electric field?

Yes, the position of the charge can be adjusted to achieve a different electric field. By changing the distance and direction of the charge, the electric field's strength and direction can be altered accordingly.

5. How is the position of the charge determined in practical experiments?

In practical experiments, the position of the charge is determined based on the desired electric field and the properties of the other charges in the system. Calculations and simulations are often used to determine the optimal position for the charge to achieve the desired results.