Analyzing the Vertical Acceleration of a Yo-yo Using Moment of Inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a yo-yo and how to determine its acceleration in the z-direction using its moment of inertia. The equations for the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder and the sum of forces and torques are mentioned. The conversation also considers the role of gravitational acceleration in the acceleration of the yo-yo.
Cepterus

Homework Statement

A yo-yo consists of two cylinders with radius ##R##, mass ##M## and height ##H## connected by a smaller cylinder of radius ##r##, mass ##m## and height ##h##.
Unbenannt.png

Determine the yo-yo's acceleration in ##z##-direction, using its moment of inertia.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia of a solid cylinder: ##I=\frac12mr^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

The yo-yo's total moment of inertia is ##I_{\text{tot}}=\frac12mr^2+MR^2##, using the formula for solid cylinders. However, I don't know how to proceed from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Free body diagram.
##\sum F = ma##.
##\sum \tau = I \alpha##.

Hi Cep,

Could gravitational acceleration appear somewhere ?

BvU said:
Could gravitational acceleration appear somewhere ?
I guess so. The acceleration probably consists of both gravitational acceleration downwards and the acceleration upwards caused by the "user" of the yo-yo.
Is that what you mean?

Yes. Make a sketch where the driving force acts and how it results in a torque.

1. What is yo-yo: vertical acceleration?

Yo-yo: vertical acceleration is a scientific concept that refers to the change in velocity of a yo-yo as it moves up or down in a vertical direction. This is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is yo-yo: vertical acceleration calculated?

To calculate yo-yo: vertical acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity of the yo-yo and the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for calculating vertical acceleration is: a = Δv/Δt, where a is the acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What factors can affect yo-yo: vertical acceleration?

The main factors that can affect yo-yo: vertical acceleration are the mass of the yo-yo, the force applied to the yo-yo, and air resistance. The mass of the yo-yo will affect how quickly it accelerates or decelerates, while the force applied to it will determine the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. Air resistance can also play a role in slowing down the yo-yo's acceleration.

4. Why is yo-yo: vertical acceleration important?

Yo-yo: vertical acceleration is important because it is a fundamental concept in the study of physics and motion. Understanding how objects accelerate and decelerate in a vertical direction can help us better understand the laws of motion and how forces affect the movement of objects.

5. How is yo-yo: vertical acceleration used in real life?

Yo-yo: vertical acceleration can be applied in real life situations, such as in sports and amusement park rides. For example, roller coasters use vertical acceleration to give riders the feeling of weightlessness as they drop down a steep slope. In sports, understanding vertical acceleration can help athletes improve their performance in activities such as high jumps or diving.