Signs You're Exhausted: What to Look For

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'm tired. . . . and you sound stressed. Hoot's recommendation sounds good.Yeah, and the streets are covered with ice and snow, we had ten inches of snow over 2 inches of ice. :zzz: The good news is I understand that people that are unconscious when they crash suffer fewer injuries than those that are concious. Curl up in bed with a cup of warm milk and relax...BUT no chocolate before bed evo :tongue2:Whenever I get to a computer, I open an internet browser, then realize I had no reason to and close it. It's just a habitlol, whenever I open firefox
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You know you're tired when you open a browser but don't know why.

You stare into your makeup compact of face powder and wonder where the calculator keypad went. :bugeye:

You call someone and when they answer you don't remember who they are or why you called them.

I'm tired. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not going to be driving any time soon, are you?

When I'm watching TV late at night while fighting to keep my eyes open sometimes the TV screen splits into two images. My eye muscles can no longer hold my eyes correctly.

Time to crash, sis. Lay down. Rest those peepers. It's dreamtime.

Have a good night's sleep. You have earned it! :smile:

berkeman said:
You're not going to be driving any time soon, are you?
Yeah, and the streets are covered with ice and snow, we had ten inches of snow over 2 inches of ice. :zzz:

The good news is I understand that people that are unconscious when they crash suffer fewer injuries than those that are concious.

Curl up in bed with a cup of warm milk and relax...

BUT no chocolate before bed evo :tongue2:

Whenever I get to a computer, I open an internet browser, then realize I had no reason to and close it. It's just a habit

lol, whenever I open firefox, I type in www.ph[/url], press the down key, press enter, and then realize that I wanted to go to [url]www.cnn.com[/URL]

Habit

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
You know you're tired when you open a browser but don't know why.

Hehe, I've had that happen to me several times. Usually around 2AM after a boring night at home alone :frown: I sit by the computer, stare at it a little, open up the browser, and wonder why the hell I'm not going of to bed.

Hope you had a good night's sleep :wink:

Lol I've done this opening browser and forgetting why I wanted to open it many times. Other things include:

Answering the phone in the morning when the alarm goes off
Going to shave in the morning and using my tooth brush
Sliding my credit card instead of my student ID at the prt (transportation system at the university here)
etc...

...when you daren't sit down for fear of never standing up again.

Physics_wiz said:

That sounds particularly familiar. :rofl:

I often stay online because I often can't sleep - and I hate it when I can't sleep, so I actually stay online because of the phobia of not being able to sleep, although I'd most likely be able to sleep most of the time. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I'm tired. . . . .
and you sound stressed. Hoot's recommendation sounds good.

Evo said:
Yeah, and the streets are covered with ice and snow, we had ten inches of snow over 2 inches of ice. :zzz:

The good news is I understand that people that are unconscious when they crash suffer fewer injuries than those that are concious.
Well don't crash! If you have to go out, please drive carefully. Get yourself home safely - and stay there! *stern but kind smiley face*

I heard its really bad out in Kansas, and people have lost power around Missouri.

We just had a severe thunderstorm blow through here and this area is under a tornado warning until 10pm local time.

I'm safely at home. The animals are fed and happy, I have my flannel polar bear pajamas on and a plastic cup filled with Fresca and vodka. Now I'm no longer tired. :frown:

Evo said:
I'm safely at home. The animals are fed and happy, I have my flannel polar bear pajamas on and a plastic cup filled with Fresca and vodka. Now I'm no longer tired. :frown:

Just keep topping with vodka, that shoulddo the trick. :smile:

Evo said:
I am glad to see that you are safely home, but why the :frown: ?

Physics_wiz said:
:rofl: I guess that's better than going to brush your teeth in the morning and using your razor! :bugeye:

Sliding my credit card instead of my student ID at the prt (transportation system at the university here)
etc...
I'm rather fond of trying to walk in the exit and then get confused when I can't figure out where to slide my ID. Thank goodness I don't need to use it very often (but it always seems to be when I'm very tired and would rather not be heading to one of the other campuses).

When are we going to meet up anyway? If I can go to Disney to meet Zz and Philly to meet Russ and NJ to meet ST, surely I can manage to cross University Ave to meet you! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
When are we going to meet up anyway? If I can go to Disney to meet Zz and Philly to meet Russ and NJ to meet ST, surely I can manage to cross University Ave to meet you! :rofl:

Anytime you want. I got all break to do absolutely nothing and staying in motown...would love to meet the great Moonbear! :biggrin:

Physics_wiz said:
:rofl: For me it's the other way around - my phone rings and wakes me up then I keep pressing the snooze button and wondering why it isn't shutting up. It's very disorienting!

I hope your polar bears kept you snug and warm, Evo! :smile:

Physics_wiz said:
etc...
Spending ten minutes unsuccessfully trying to find your glasses in the morning only to discover you can't see after you step into the shower because they fog up.

The worst is when you hear your alarm clock go off at 6:00 PM. It means you
  1. slept right through it without even turning it off in your sleep, and
  2. have only twelve hours until it goes off again.

Often, as a sleep-deprived college student, I subconsiously--no joke--turn off my alarm clock. It is very frustrating. If I decide to study for a test and stay up, then that means I'll be up the whole night, because I'm scared to go to sleep with any time left over.

When your driving home late last night--knowing that your about 10 minutes from your house in a very well-known area, but yet you still forget how to get home and get lost. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out where the heck I was and how to get home :(

How about driving down the interstate. There is a truck traveling the same direction about a half a mile ahead. All of sudden, it's right in front of your car. Good thing the interstate was straight! :bugeye:

That was after a 12 hr concert on a Sunday afternoon (12 noon - 12 am), which was after being up all day Saturday night and sleeping for about 2 hrs in the parking lot at the concert stadium Sunday morning after driving overnight. That was back in the wild days of uni.

Knavish said:
Often, as a sleep-deprived college student, I subconsiously--no joke--turn off my alarm clock. It is very frustrating. If I decide to study for a test and stay up, then that means I'll be up the whole night, because I'm scared to go to sleep with any time left over.

Indeed, I suspect I do that sometimes. The solution is to put the alarm clock across the room from you.

Knavish said:

I do that all the time. Two things that I have found to work are
1) Have about 3 different alarm clocks and use one for about two weeks, use the next one for two weeks, etc. That way you don't really get used to one of them.
2) Put it out of your reach, and don't keep it in the same spot everynight.

Also, I can have my cell alarm play my mp3s on there, so I change that around every few nights and it seems to work OK.

moose said:
1) Have about 3 different alarm clocks and use one for about two weeks, use the next one for two weeks, etc. That way you don't really get used to one of them.

Also, I can have my cell alarm play my mp3s on there, so I change that around every few nights and it seems to work OK.

I've started using my cell phone as a back-up alarm when I have early morning meetings I HAVE to get to. I only use it on the days when I don't have the extra time to hit the snooze button a dozen times, so I don't get used to it, and know that the alarm on the phone means I have a meeting (since I otherwise end up missing them by the time I get to the office to check my calendar). Plus, I have to wake up enough to figure out how to turn off the alarm on the cell phone since I use it so infrequently.

I've done all of these:
Start petting the cat and then realize that it's a stuffed monkey.
Go to kiss the cat and pet the wife.
Leave the house and start driving the wrong direction
Can't remember if red means stopped or running
Fell asleep while talking with a customer on the phone [didn't get that job]
Fell asleep while talking with my boss on the phone. Luckily he thought it was funny when I started snoring.
Fell asleep while running a meeting with about ten engineers

Apparently, due to exhaustion and a pending deadline, I once slept-walked down to my office, worked on a 240 volt flyback circuit, and finally went back to bed. The next day I didn't know who did the work. At first I thought someone had been in my office.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I've done all of these:
Start petting the cat and then realize that it's a stuffed monkey.
Go to kiss the cat and pet the wife.
Leave the house and start driving the wrong direction
Can't remember if red means stopped or running
Fell asleep while talking with a customer on the phone [didn't get that job]
Fell asleep while talking with my boss on the phone. Luckily he thought it was funny when I started snoring.
Fell asleep while running a meeting with about ten engineers

Apparently, due to exhaustion and a pending deadline, I once slept-walked down to my office, worked with a 240 volt flyback circuit, and finally went back to bed. The next day I didn't know who did the work. At first I thought someone had been in my office.
:rofl: :rofl: I've driven past my house and pulled into someone else's driveway before.

moose said:
When I was in HS, I went so far as to build a little wire cage out of harware cloth (that really tough metal screen with about 1/4 inch gaps between the wires), place it over the alarm clock, then connect it up to the wall outlet. I figured the shock would wake me.

No dice. Without ever completely waking up, I reached out to turn off the alarm, half-remembered there was a shock coming (but not why), redirected the arm reaching for the clock to grab a sneaker off the floor instead, and crushed the entire contraption.

I wouldn't say I went back to sleep after that, because I never really woke up.

I also hooked a strobe light across the room up to my alarm shortly after I got out of college and actually had to start waking up again. Thus endeth one strobe light.

I have a 4-legged alarm clock that gently rouses me with the cold nose treatment.

moose said:

Yes, I will need to purchase more alarm clocks.

Relocating the alarm clock didn't work for me. If the alarm clock is too close by, then I do the subconsious thing (even if it is in different spots). If far away (option 2 of yours), then, despite that my alarm is about as loud as a siren, I sleep through it. The only option I have is to use multiple alarm clocks.

I always set the alarm on my alarm clock...and have it painfully loud so I can't sleep through it. And just in case that doesn't work I set the alarm on my cell phone to go off a few minutes later. I have to do this or I would never get to school. Then once I get to school I vainly try to stay awake, often with little success. Does anyone else do that thing where they are trying so hard to stay awake, but end up in this stage inbetween awake and asleep and then first your head starts bobbing as you are trying to wake up...then your whole body starts jerking :( It looks so stupid and I always feel like an idiot.

Math Is Hard said:
I have a 4-legged alarm clock that gently rouses me with the cold nose treatment.

That alarm clock doesn't work either...she's as bad as I am! My alarm goes off, and she curls up closer and purrs, saying, "Aww, c'mon mom, the bed's so warm, let's sleep a little later, purrrrrease?!"