Calculating Young's Modulus for Iron Wire Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about a physics experiment involving an iron wire and creating a graph using the data collected. The wire was attached to a clamp and weights were added to one end to stretch the wire. The diameter and length of the wire were provided, and the attempt at a solution involved calculating the strain and Young's modulus. The resulting value for the Young's modulus was 8918.92. The conversation ends with a question about plotting the data on a graph.
rit

Homework Statement

I had to do an experiment and create a graph with the data.
We attached one end of the Iron wire to a clamp and then tied on weights of 100g at a time to the other end so that a force can be applied to the Iron wire and so it stretches. (as pizza1512 did but in copper)

Homework Equations

Diameter of wire: 0.31mm (therefore area is 0.302mm²)
Length of wire: 2m70cm (270cm)

The Attempt at a Solution

i worked out that if u apply 100g (1Newton force)
1/2700= 3.7x10^-4 (not sure if right)

And stress is
1/0.302= 3.3

I worked out the Youngs Modulus
3.3/(3.7x10^-4) and i got 8918.92

is that right?
and how do i plot it on a graph

Physics news on Phys.org
rit said:

Homework Statement

I had to do an experiment and create a graph with the data.
We attached one end of the Iron wire to a clamp and then tied on weights of 100g at a time to the other end so that a force can be applied to the Iron wire and so it stretches. (as pizza1512 did but in copper)

Homework Equations

Diameter of wire: 0.31mm (therefore area is 0.302mm²)
Length of wire: 2m70cm (270cm)

The Attempt at a Solution

i worked out that if u apply 100g (1Newton force)
1/2700= 3.7x10^-4 (not sure if right)

And stress is
1/0.302= 3.3

I worked out the Youngs Modulus
3.3/(3.7x10^-4) and i got 8918.92

is that right?
and how do i plot it on a graph

How did you work that out? From what? What are the units of that expression?

It is for Strain.
it extended by 1mm
so,
1mm/2700mm (length of wire) =3.7^-4

rit said:
It is for Strain.
it extended by 1mm
so,
1mm/2700mm (length of wire) =3.7^-4

[tex]E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon} = \frac{F*L}{A_o*\Delta L} = \frac{1N * 2.7m}{.302*10^{-6}m^2*.001m}[/tex]

Straighten out your units.

All you have provided is one data point so I'm not sure what kind of graph you're talking about.

1. What is Young's Modulus and why is it important?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measurement of a material's stiffness or elasticity. It is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand how a material will respond to stress and strain, and it is a key factor in determining the strength and durability of a material.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress applied to a material by the strain that results from that stress. This calculation is typically done using the equation E = σ / ε, where E is Young's Modulus, σ is stress, and ε is strain. The resulting unit for Young's Modulus is typically in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. What are some examples of materials with high and low Young's Modulus?

Materials with high Young's Modulus values include steel, titanium, and concrete, which are known for their strength and stiffness. Materials with low Young's Modulus values include rubber, foam, and cork, which are known for their flexibility and ability to absorb shock.

4. How does temperature affect Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is temperature-dependent, meaning that as temperature increases, the Modulus decreases. This is due to the increased thermal energy in the material, which causes the atoms to vibrate more and reduces the material's stiffness. This is an important consideration for materials used in extreme temperature environments.

5. What are some real-world applications of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is used in a wide range of applications, including building and bridge construction, airplane and car design, medical devices, and even musical instruments. It is also a critical factor in determining the performance and safety of materials used in everyday items, such as furniture, clothing, and sports equipment.