Zeeman Splitting, Paschen-Back Effect

In summary, the sodium resonance lines at 588.5 nm, 589 nm, and 590.1 nm suggest the presence of a very strong applied field. The equation E = (m_l + 2m_s) B μ_B can be used to determine the strength of the magnetic field, but when plugged in with the maximum change in (m_l + 2m_s) and ∆λ of 0.8 nm, the calculated B value is unexpectedly large. Further assistance in finding the correct solution is appreciated.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

In a very strong applied field the sodium resonance lines is foudn to have components at 588.5 nm, 589 nm and 590.1 nm. What is the strength of the applied field?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have:

3P_(1/2) --> 3S_(1/2)

AND

3P_(3/2) ---> 3S_(1/2)

Then I know, for strong magnetic fields:

E = (m_l + 2m_s ) B μ_B

I found the max change in (m_l + 2m_s ) to be about 2 and the change in E to be hc/∆λ and I know ∆λ is 0.8 nm :

If I put all this into the equation I get B to be very large, which is clearly wrong..what I am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is anyone able to help me with this question?

1. What is Zeeman splitting?

Zeeman splitting is a phenomenon in which spectral lines of an atom or molecule are split into several components when placed in a magnetic field.

2. What causes the Paschen-Back effect?

The Paschen-Back effect is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electron spin and orbital angular momentum of an atom or molecule.

3. How does Zeeman splitting affect spectral lines?

Zeeman splitting causes the spectral lines to split into multiple components, with the number and spacing of the components depending on the strength of the magnetic field and the properties of the atom or molecule.

4. What is the difference between normal Zeeman splitting and the Paschen-Back effect?

The main difference between normal Zeeman splitting and the Paschen-Back effect is the strength of the magnetic field. Normal Zeeman splitting occurs in weak to moderate magnetic fields, while the Paschen-Back effect occurs in strong magnetic fields.

5. How is Zeeman splitting and the Paschen-Back effect useful in scientific research?

Zeeman splitting and the Paschen-Back effect are useful in studying the properties of atoms and molecules, as well as in fields such as spectroscopy and astrophysics. They can provide information about the energy levels and transitions of atoms and molecules, as well as the strength and direction of magnetic fields.