Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,366
My all time favorite:

"I have walked this Earth for 30 years, and out of gratitude, wanted to leave some souvenir."

Van Gogh

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,367
A lot of advertising is based on making people feel anxious, and feeling insecure.

Jean Kilbourne, EdD

• #1,368
My new favorite quote:
mathwonk said:
deceiving people is always more lucrative than enlightening them.

• #1,369
jambaugh said:
My new favorite quote:

:approve: It was instantly a classic!

• #1,370
My new favorite quote:

Neal Stephenson said:
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

• #1,371
OmCheeto said:
My new favorite quote:
I respect Neal Stephenson's opinion, but he is simply wrong.

• #1,372
Jimmy Snyder said:
I respect Neal Stephenson's opinion, but he is simply wrong.

I respectfully disagree. Most arguers on the internet (and I really would go so far to say "almost always") do fit the type he describes, in my opinion.

• #1,373
Char. Limit said:
I respectfully disagree. Most arguers on the internet (and I really would go so far to say "almost always") do fit the type he describes, in my opinion.

I sometimes wonder if Jimmy makes notches on his keyboard each time he scores.

• #1,374
Char. Limit said:

On second thought, I have to agree with Jimmy. Being a non-mathematician, I don't believe in infinity.

Wait! What's this? Mathematician's don't either?

http://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/limits-infinity.html"

* We can't say what happens when x gets to infinity
* But we can see that 1/x is going towards 0

hmmm...

Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing t, where t --> infinity.

hmmm...

Perhaps Neal was just dumbing it down, for people like me. :blushing:

---------------------------------
reconnecting with my nerdish mathematical inner child

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,375
I don't know who to attribute this one to.

Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

• #1,376
Jimmy Snyder said:
I don't know who to attribute this one to.

Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Jeez Louise!

In attempting to find the origin of that quote, I think I've discovered the 16 year old whose free t actually does --> infinity:

wiki said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Easter_Monkey"
Current number of articles: 3,787,303

This page has been vandalized: thrice.

:bugeye:

• #1,377
"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small." - Neil Armstrong

I watched a whole bunch of space films and doco's recently, "The Right Stuff", the HBO series, "From The Earth To The Moon" and a few others on Apollo and the shuttle missions, and I'm all sorts of awe-inspired.

I can't believe they did it, just amazing! :D

• #1,378
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.

-- Will Rogers

Well it's a nice sentiment, at least :devil:

• #1,379
lisab said:
Well it's a nice sentiment, at least :devil:

Depends on each person's definition of "fun" I guess.

• #1,380
"Catch the vision, smell the dream. Make toast and then put it in your anorak. Yes! I’m the only comedian ever who drinks Perrier, it’s a bit sad innit? "

• #1,381
"Fortunately, science works even if you don’t believe in it!" :biggrin:

Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie

• #1,382
I don't know who to attribute it to:

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, friendship and to turn around three times before lying down.

• #1,383
mr.me said:
I don't know who to attribute it to:

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, friendship and to turn around three times before lying down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Benchley" .

• #1,385
"we are all Bozo's on this bus" Firesign Theater

• #1,386
Cynicism ages better than sentimentality.
[I didn't catch the name of the person speaking at the time]

• #1,387

quddusaliquddus said:
What are your favourite quotes?

do or die is my favorite quote...

• #1,388
This is rather worrisome -

"The fundamental issue is that law schools are producing people who are not capable of being counselors. They are lawyers in the sense that they have law degrees, but they aren't ready to be a provider of services."

JEFFREY W. CARR, the general counsel of FMC Technologies

• #1,389
My favorite quotes

Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
-G M TREVELYAN

Education is a process of wasting 1/4th of your life to learn how to waste the remaining 3/4th-George Bernard Shaw

Seventy percent of success in life is showing up. ~Woody Allen

You must have long-range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short-range failures. ~Charles C. Noble

There are many wonderful things that will never be done if you do not do them. ~Charles D. GillI've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end. ~Larry Bird
I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo PicassoA successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her. ~David BrinkleyI am convinced all of humanity is born with more gifts than we know. Most are born geniuses and just get de-geniused rapidly. ~Buckminster Fuller

Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered - either by themselves or by others. ~Mark Twain

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway. ~Mary Kay Ash

There is nothing as stupid as an educated man ,if you get him off the thing he is educated in-Will Rogers

To live is the rarest thing, most people exist that's all -Oscar Wild

• #1,390
If you want to make peace ,don't talk to your friends ,talk to your enemies- MOSHE DAYAN

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children." -- Confucius

• #1,391
"Eyes on the prey, not the horizon." - Farkas, in some cave, before he turns into a werewolf, in Skyrim.

"CALIGULA, détourné, sur un ton neutre.
Les hommes meurent et ils ne sont pas heureux.

HÉLICON, après un temps.
Allons, Caius, c'est une vérité don't on s'arrange
très bien. Regarde autour de toi. Ce n'est pas cela
qui les empêche de déjeuner."

Exchange between Caligula and Helicon. (Albert Camus)

• #1,392
"In Heaven, all the interesting people are missing."

• #1,393
101 bad translations of the Caligula-Hélicon conversation above said:
The orange box on the bridge does not hesitate to contact us.

Bad translator creates some of my favorite quotes.

• #1,394
I have often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming. - Jimmy Carter

• #1,395
"A man's got to know his limitations" ... Clint Eastwood (from Dirty Harry I think)

• #1,396
PNGeng said:
"In Heaven, all the interesting people are missing."

"If you ever get to heaven, don't act surprised when you see who's there. No doubt many will be equally suprised to see you."

• #1,397
"my mama always says life is like a box of chocolate you never know what you're going to get"

Forrest Gump

Honestly i never understood this..., if its a box of choclate you are abviously going to get CHOCOLATE right?

• #1,398
FizixFreak said:
"my mama always says life is like a box of chocolate you never know what you're going to get"

Forrest Gump

Honestly i never understood this..., if its a box of choclate you are abviously going to get CHOCOLATE right?

:rofl:

• #1,399
FizixFreak said:

Forrest Gump

Well you could get a cherry filled chocolate or a creamy center chocolate or a caramel filled one or a maple one or an almond or a peanut butter or a jelly or one with a mouse fetus or a worm or a shard of glass or a gold nugget. There are many different but they all look the same so you never know what you will get. Get a box for your woman and see for yourself.

"stupid is as stupid does" mama Gump I have never really understood that one. Examples please?

• #1,400
Tregg Smith said:
"stupid is as stupid does" mama Gump I have never really understood that one. Examples please?
It means that you can't label anyone stupid unless they do something stupid. Forrest was not stupid in his mother's eyes because he didn't do stupid things. And because she was his mother.