Proving Time Invariance: How to Analyze and Confirm Time Invariance in a System

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not the given system is time-invariant. The person presenting the proof argues that it is not, while also mentioning attempting to prove it another way. They are seeking clarification on their proof and whether it is possible to prove the system as time-invariant.
WolfOfTheSteps

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex] y(t) = \frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-t}x(t)\right][/tex]

is time invariant.

2. Relevant Information

I don't think this is TI! I'm told it is TI, but I think I proved that it is not TI! My proof is below. Am I wrong or is the question wrong in assuming that the system is TI?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]y_1[/itex] be the output when [itex]x(t+t_0)[/itex] is the input, then:

[tex] y_1(t) = \frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-t}x(t+t_0)\right] [/tex]

but

[tex] y(t+t_0) = \frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-(t+t_0)}x(t+t_0)\right] = e^{-t_0}\frac{d}{dt}\left[e^{-t}x(t+t_0)\right] [/tex]

Therefore [itex]y_1(t) \neq y(t+t_0)[/itex] and the system is not time invariant.

[tex]\Box[/tex]

Also, just to make sure I wasn't missing some subtlety because of the differentiation I tried to prove this another way.

Since x(t) is arbitrary, I assumed x(t)=t, so that:

[tex]y(t)=\frac{d}{dt}[te^{-t}] = e^{-t}-te^{-t}[/tex]

Now I time shift the system by 2:

[tex]y(t+2) = e^{-(t+2)}-(t+2)e^{-(t+2)}=e^{-2}\left[e^{-t}-(t+2)e^{-t}\right][/tex]

Now I let [itex]y_1(t)[/itex] be the output when the input is [itex]x(t+2)=t+2[/itex]:

[tex]y_1(t) = \frac{d}{dt}[(t+2)e^{-t}] = e^{-t}-(t+2)e^{-t}[/tex]

Clearly, then, [itex]y(t+2)\neq y_1(t)[/itex] and the system is not TI for x(t)=t, and hence cannot be TI for arbitrary x(t).

[tex]\Box[/tex]

So, if it is TI, what am I doing wrong? And how would I prove that it is TI?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone know of a forum where this type of question is likely to get answered? I'm still desperate to get an answer to this. This is like basic systems... someone's got to know.

Can I move this to the EE forum?

First, let's define time invariance in a system. A system is considered time invariant if a time shift in the input signal results in an equivalent time shift in the output signal. In other words, if the input signal is delayed or advanced by a certain amount of time, the output signal should also be delayed or advanced by the same amount of time.

Now, let's look at your proof. You correctly showed that the output signal y(t) is not equal to y(t+t0), indicating that the system is not time invariant. However, your proof is based on the assumption that x(t) is an arbitrary function. This is not necessarily true. In fact, the given equation shows that x(t) is multiplied by e^-t, which is a time-dependent function. Therefore, the function x(t) itself is not arbitrary and cannot be used to prove time invariance.

To prove time invariance, we need to consider a specific input signal and show that the output signal follows the definition of time invariance. Let's take the input signal x(t) = t, as you did in your second attempt. In this case, the output signal y(t) = e^-t - te^-t. Now, if we time shift the input signal by t0, we get x(t+t0) = t+t0. Plugging this into the original equation, we get y(t+t0) = e^-(t+t0) - (t+t0)e^-(t+t0). This is equivalent to y(t) multiplied by e^-t0, which shows that the output signal is indeed delayed by t0, just as the input signal was delayed.

In summary, your proof was based on an assumption that x(t) is an arbitrary function, which is not true for the given equation. By considering a specific input signal, we can see that the output signal follows the definition of time invariance, proving that the system is indeed time invariant.

1. What is time invariance in scientific research?

Time invariance refers to the principle that the results of an experiment or study should remain consistent and unchanged regardless of when the experiment is conducted. This means that the conditions and variables in the experiment should have the same effects at different points in time.

2. Why is proving time invariance important?

Proving time invariance is important because it ensures the reliability and validity of scientific research. If a study is not time invariant, the results may be influenced by external factors such as changes in technology, environment, or participant characteristics, making the findings less accurate and trustworthy.

3. How is time invariance tested in scientific experiments?

Time invariance is typically tested by conducting the same experiment at different points in time and comparing the results. If the results remain consistent, the experiment is considered time invariant. Additionally, statistical analyses can also be used to examine the relationship between time and the variables being studied.

4. What factors can affect time invariance in an experiment?

Some factors that can affect time invariance include changes in technology, natural disasters, human error, and participant characteristics. It is important for scientists to carefully control and document any potential factors that may influence the results of an experiment.

5. Can an experiment be partially time invariant?

Yes, an experiment can be partially time invariant. This means that some aspects of the experiment may remain consistent over time, while others may not. For example, the procedure and materials used in an experiment may be time invariant, but the participants may change over time, leading to different results.