Proof that the Force of Friction is μmg

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the force of kinetic friction is proportional to the normal force and the coefficient of friction is a constant determined by the shear strength and yield strength of the surfaces in contact. This can be derived and proven through experimental observation and mathematical equations.
luckis11
Consider the case that when pushing stops the mass stops moving. And that when pushing, it moves with constant speed.

For example, one tells you that F=(some material constant)(momentum)mg or something else like that. Actually with some kind of reasoning I get that it should be F=(momentum)/1sec. I do not want to mension my reasoning, it's a bit messy anyway.

How would you proove any such opinion as wrong and the the truth is F=μmg? From the exersises I have seen it seems that by supposition it is F=μmg. Is this supposition...enough?

PLEASE a link if you are not 100% sure of the proof or if you cannot formulate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
luckis11 said:
Consider the case that when pushing stops the mass stops moving. And that when pushing, it moves with constant speed.

For example, one tells you that F=(some material constant)(momentum)mg or something else like that. Actually with some kind of reasoning I get that it should be F=(momentum)/1sec. I do not want to mension my reasoning, it's a bit messy anyway.

How would you proove any such opinion as wrong and the the truth is F=μmg? From the exersises I have seen it seems that by supposition it is F=μmg. Is this supposition...enough?

I'd prefer a link if you are not 100% sure of the proof or if you cannot formulate it.
You cannot prove mathematically that F=μmg. This is determined by observation. It is not a law of physics. It is really only a good approximation.

AM

For most surfaces, the sliding coefficient of friction decreases slightly as speed increases (even in a vacuum, where trapped air isn't a factor).

luckis11 said:
Actually with some kind of reasoning I get that it should be F=(momentum)/1sec. I do not want to mension my reasoning, it's a bit messy anyway.
Yes, force is a change in momentum with respect to time. That's pretty easy to prove mathematically.

Andrew Mason said:
You cannot prove mathematically that F=μmg. This is determined by observation. It is not a law of physics. It is really only a good approximation.
AM

How is it prooved that it's a good approximation? That's the proof I am asking for.

luckis11 said:
How is it prooved that it's a good approximation? That's the proof I am asking for.

Experimental observation. "Proof" and "good approximation" don't mix. We just see that if we model friction as a coefficient * Normal force, we get predictions that match up fairly well with experiment. That's all we can say about it. There's nothing deep about it, there is no derivation, it just is what it is.

I would say that it is by definition. That is how we define the coefficient of friction.

DaleSpam said:
I would say that it is by definition. That is how we define the coefficient of friction.
Yes, but why is it a constant? That, I think, is the question the OP was asking: he wants proof that the force of kinetic friction is proportional to the normal force.

AM

Here is a simple explanation / derivation for the friction between solid bodies. It accounts for most of the observable characteristics.

The normal force, N between bodies is resisted in contact by deformation of the surface layer(s) of both bodies. The surfaces do not touch at every surface point. Rather there is an initial contact at one highest point. The stress here is very high so the local surface deforms plastically until the next highest point comes into contact, which then deforms plastically until the next.. and so on.

So the actual contact area consists of patches of surface material at yield. The total area of these patches is just sufficient to sustain the stress imposed by the normal force and is proportional to that force. This is why the friction is independent of the gross contact surface area.
All the contacting material is thus stressed to the same level equal to the normal yield strength, Sy of the material.

N = Sy A………..1

N = normal force
Sy = yield strength
Ac = actual contact area

It also accounts for the slight drop from static friction to kinetic friction as the patches are always breaking and reforming as the object moves on. I am not differentiating between the max static friction and the kinetic friction in this analysis.

Now apply a lateral force. This lateral force imposes a shear force across all the patches, at right angles to the normal force.

So the shear force acts across the same area, Ac, as the normal force.

So this lateral force is resisted by the frictional force, F. As the imposed lateral force increases so does the opposing frictional force, always maintaining the condition of being equal but opposite to the imposed lateral force, until the body moves. At this point the frictional force does not increase further. Any increase in lateral force serves to accelerate the body.
The body starts to move when the shear stress imposed by the lateral force exceeds the shear strength of the contact material.

Fmax = Ss Ac ………..2

Fmax is the maximum friction
Ss = shear strength

Combining equations 1 and 2 leads to

[tex]{F_{kinetic}} = \left( {\frac{{{S_s}}}{{{S_y}}}} \right)N[/tex]

But both the normal strength and the shear strength are constants for any given pair of surfaces so

[tex]{F_{kinetic}} = \mu N[/tex]

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a resistive force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other. It opposes the direction of motion and is caused by the roughness and adhesion between the surfaces.

2. What does the symbol μ represent in the equation for the force of friction?

The symbol μ represents the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness and adhesion between two surfaces. It is a dimensionless quantity and is different for different types of surfaces.

3. How is the force of friction calculated using the equation μmg?

The force of friction can be calculated using the equation μmg, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The force of friction is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force (mg) acting on the object.

4. What are the factors that affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by several factors, including the surface roughness and adhesion, the weight and mass of the objects, and the force pushing the objects together. It is also influenced by the type of material the surfaces are made of and the speed at which the objects are moving.

5. Can the force of friction ever be greater than μmg?

No, the force of friction can never be greater than μmg because μ is a constant value for a given set of surfaces in contact. The maximum force of friction that can be exerted is μmg, and it occurs when the surfaces are not slipping or sliding past each other.