Circuit Problem: Finding the Correct Solution for a Voltage Calculation

• Thread starter ninaricci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem, with one person asking for help and another person providing two potential solutions. The first solution involves using equations and solving for current and voltage, while the second solution involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law and calculating the resultant voltage. The person asking for help also mentions that they have already posted the problem in a different forum.
ninaricci
circuit problem, please need help??

Hi,
I am going to be so pleased if somebody helped me with the problem in the attached file
best wishes :confused: :confused:
here is my solution but i do not know where the mistake is
solution number 1

4-ix-vo/10=0
V of 20k = vo of 10 = 4Ix
Using eq 1…..4-ix-4Ix/10=0
4-1.4Ix=0
4=1.4Ix
4/1.4=Ix
= 2.86ma
Vo=4*2.86 = 11.4v

Solution number 2

Combing 10 kohm and 10 kohm = 20 since they are in series
Voltage of 20 kohm the resultant is = 4000Ix
4000Ix/20 = I of 20 kohm……200Ix = I of 20 kohm
Kcl
4mA-Ix –Iof vo = 0
4ma-Ix – 4000Ix/10
4ma-Ix – 400Ix = 0
4ma -401Ix =0
4ma = 401 Ix
4ma/401 = Ix
Ix= 0.00998mA
Vo = Io of vo * 10 kohm
4mA-0.00998-Io of vo = 0
Io of vo = 3. 99 ma
Vo = 3.99* 10 = 39 .9V
which solution is correct and if thre is amistake where is it

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    39 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ninaricci,

please post what you've tried for this problem.

I'm moving the thread to homework help.

Too late, I gave her an answer in the General Physics forum. She posted it there too.

1. What is a voltage calculation?

A voltage calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the amount of electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is typically measured in volts and is an important factor in understanding and analyzing circuit behavior.

2. How do you calculate voltage in a circuit?

To calculate voltage in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V = IR. Alternatively, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop circuit is equal to zero.

3. What is the correct approach to solving a voltage calculation problem?

The correct approach to solving a voltage calculation problem is to first analyze the circuit and determine the values of current and resistance. Then, use the appropriate equation (Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) to calculate the voltage. It is also important to double-check your calculations and consider the direction of current flow in the circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving voltage calculations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving voltage calculations include using incorrect units, forgetting to account for the direction of current flow, and neglecting to include all components of the circuit in the calculation. It is also important to carefully label and keep track of all values and equations used in the calculation process.

5. How can I check if my voltage calculation solution is correct?

You can check your voltage calculation solution by using a multimeter to measure the voltage in the circuit. If the measured voltage matches your calculated value, then your solution is likely correct. It is also helpful to use the laws and principles of circuit analysis to verify your solution and ensure that it makes logical sense in the context of the circuit.