How Does the Smaller Block's Slide Affect the Larger Block's Acceleration?

In summary: This means that the force pushing the smaller block towards the right is not the same as the force pushing the smaller block towards the left.
cupid.callin
Look at the pic
attachment.php?attachmentid=32937&stc=1&d=1299803110.jpg

Obviously the smaller block will slide down and the bigger block will accelerate to right ... i want to know that what will be the acceleration of the bigger block ... i have found the answer using that Center of mass has no acceleration. but i want to find out using tradition way ... like F = Ma

What will be the force pushing bigger block towards right?

Attachments

• 01182.jpg
    01182.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 497
Physics news on Phys.org
cupid.callin said:
What will be the force pushing bigger block towards right?
The block and wedge exert a normal force on each other. That's the force that pushes the wedge. (Looking at your diagram, I'd say that the wedge will move to the left, not the right.)

the block exert force of mg(cosα) at the bigger block

so the force in the right direction is mg(cosα)(sinα)

so acceleration is a = mg(cosα)(sinα) / M

but that is wrong

cupid.callin said:
That would be the normal force if the wedge were stationary, but it's not. It accelerates.

cupid.callin said:

so the force in the right direction is mg(cosα)(sinα)

so acceleration is a = mg(cosα)(sinα) / M

but that is wrong

That would be true if the block is not accelerating in direction perpendicular to surface of wedge but that is not so because the wedge itself accelerates.

I am not getting you guys ...

Am i missing something conceptual?

On what basis did you conclude that the normal force equals mg(cosα)?

The acceleration of block is along the incline as well as perpendicular to it. Consider this and work on the fbd again

Here is my FBD:

attachment.php?attachmentid=32964&stc=1&d=1299854271.jpg

and as the cos component of weight gives N so its mgcosα
Is it wrong?

Attachments

• 01183.jpg
    01183.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 428
cupid.callin said:
Here is my FBD:

and as the cos component of weight gives N so its mgcosα
Is it wrong?
Your diagram for the wedge is OK (except that you left out the normal force of the floor on the wedge), but your conclusion that "the cos component of weight gives N" is not correct. N = mgcosα is true for a non-accelerating wedge, since the block would have no acceleration perpendicular to the plane thus the net force in that direction must be zero.

Just call the normal force N. Don't make any assumptions about what it equals.

Your diagram for the block shows the acceleration of the block as being parallel to the plane of the wedge. That's not exactly true, since the wedge accelerates.

Hint: The block is constrained to slide along the wedge. So, in the frame of the wedge, the block accelerates parallel to the surface of the wedge.

(This is a bit tricky, so take it slow.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Does the Smaller Block's Slide Affect the Larger Block's Acceleration?

1. What is the concept of "Block on Block - Acceleration?"

The concept of "Block on Block - Acceleration" refers to the motion of a block on top of another block, where the bottom block remains stationary and the top block accelerates due to an external force.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of the top block in this scenario?

The acceleration of the top block can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force applied to the top block, and m is the mass of the top block.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of the top block?

The acceleration of the top block can be affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the mass of the top block, and any external forces acting on the system such as friction or air resistance.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity in this scenario?

Acceleration refers to the change in velocity over time, while velocity is the speed and direction of the top block at any given moment. In this scenario, the top block may have a constant velocity if the force applied is balanced by other forces, but its acceleration may be zero.

5. How does the angle of the applied force affect the acceleration of the top block?

The angle of the applied force can affect the acceleration of the top block by changing the direction of the force, which in turn affects the direction of the acceleration. For example, if the force is applied at an angle perpendicular to the top block, the acceleration will be in the same direction as the force.