Find the magnitude and the direction of the electric field at the thir

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Richard Ros
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two point charges are placed at two of the corners of a triangle as shown in the figure. (Take q1 = -11.3 μC, and q2 = 15.4 μC.) Find the magnitude and the direction of the electric field at the third corner of the triangle. {Correct Answer: 1.07e+07 N/C at 71.2 degrees above the -x-axis}


Homework Equations


F = ((1)/(4πε0))(q1*q2/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution


Attached files. What am i doing wrong? I can't seem to get the correct answer.
 
Attachments
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 944
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you convert units correctly? Your answers appear to be off by some factors of 10.

Is Ey from q1 positive or negative? [Edited]
 
Hmm I don't know how I got a negative. But either way when I solve for the magnitude it'll end up being positive. Which unit should I convert? The μc or cm?
 
Richard Ros said:
Hmm I don't know how I got a negative. But either way when I solve for the magnitude it'll end up being positive.
Yes, but the sign of Ey will affect the answer for the direction angle.
Which unit should I convert? The μc or cm?
Neither μC nor cm is an SI unit.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person