Using D' Alembert's Principle on an inverted cone.

In summary, you are using coordinates for the cone that are (u, v) rather than (z, r, \theta). You are also trying to solve for the angular acceleration, but you are getting incorrect results.
carllacan

Homework Statement

A masspoint finds itself under the influence of gravity and constrained to move on a (inverted) circular cone. Using D'Alembert's Principle find the equations of motion on cylindric coordinates.

Homework Equations

D'Alembert's Principle: ([itex]\vec{F_a}[/itex] -m·[itex]\vec{a}[/itex])·[itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\vec{r}[/itex]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Chose as generalized coordinates l and m, which measure, respectively, "how high" is the particle on the cone and the angle coordinate.

Write F = -mgz, where z is the vector for the vertical cylindric coordinate. Write [itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\vec{r}[/itex] as the total differential dr minus the dt term, i.e. [itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = [itex]\stackrel{d\textbf{r}}{dl}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]l + [itex]\stackrel{d\textbf{r}}{dm}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]m

Then, as the generalized coordinates are independent we can equate the coeficients of [itex]\delta[/itex]l and [itex]\delta[/itex]m to zero. Which should give us the equations of motion. Th problem is that I obtain one equation according to which the angular acceleration is 0 (as expected) and another one that reads: a_r ·tg([itex]\alpha[/itex])+a_z = -g, where a_r and a_z are the radial and vertical coordinates of the acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Hello carllacan. I think you'll need to show more of your work so that we can see how you are getting your results. You should find that the angular acceleration is not zero in general for this problem. [EDIT: By angular acceleration I am thinking ##\ddot{\theta}##. That will not be zero in general. But, the azimuthal component of acceleration ##a_\theta## will be zero. That's probably what you are saying.]

Can you clarify "inverted cone"? Does that mean like an ice-cream cone "opening upward" or does it mean opening downward?

Also, it might be less confusing if you use some other letter to denote the angle coordinate since m is used for the mass.

Last edited:
Yeah, an ice-crem would be a good description.

I wanted to write my arithmetic, in case the problem was there, but the editor is so slow and wonky that I desisted.

And yes, I should have used another letter, my bad. I will edit.

As I can't edit my post anymore I will rewrite the excercise here.

Homework Statement

A masspoint finds itself under the influence of gravity and constrained to move on a (inverted) circular cone with angle α. Using D'Alembert's Principle find the equations of motion on cylindric coordinates.

Homework Equations

D'Alembert's Principle: ([itex]\vec{F_a}[/itex] -m·[itex]\vec{a}[/itex])·[itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\vec{r}[/itex]=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Chose as generalized coordinates u and v, which measure, respectively, "how high" is the particle on the cone and the angle coordinate.

Write F = -mgz, where z is the vector for the vertical cylindric coordinate. Write [itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\vec{r}[/itex] as the total differential dr minus the dt term, i.e. [itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = [itex]\stackrel{d\textbf{r}}{du}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]u + [itex]\stackrel{d\textbf{r}}{dv}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]v

Then, as the generalized coordinates are independent we can equate the coeficients of [itex]\delta[/itex]u and [itex]\delta[/itex]v to zero. Which should give us the equations of motion. The problem is that I obtain one equation according to which the angular acceleration is 0 (as expected) and another one that reads: a_r ·tg([itex]\alpha[/itex])+a_z = -g, where a_r and a_z are the radial and vertical coordinates of the acceleration.

OK. You are using the notation ##(z, r, \theta)## for the cylindrical coordinates. And it appears that you are using two coordinates ##(u, v)## to located points on the cone where I believe ##u## is the z-coordinate of a point on the cone and ##v## is the azimuthal angle. So, as you indicated, the polar coordinates of a point on the cone may be written ##(z, r, \theta) = (u, u\tan\alpha, v)## where ##\alpha## is the half-angle of the cone.

However, your expression for a small displacement ##\delta\vec{ r}## is not correct. All components of ##\delta\vec{ r}## should have dimensions of length. Your last term ##(0,0,1)\delta v## does not have dimensions of length since ##v## is an angle.

You might want to review how to write position, velocity, and acceleration in cylindrical coordinates. For example, see http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/coursematerial/2013/1115/77/CylCoords.pdf where they use ##\rho## instead of ##r## for the radial cylindrical coordinate. [Using this notation avoids confusing the ##r## in ##(z, r, \theta)## with the magnitude of the position vector ##\vec{r}## which locates a point relative to the origin.] (Also, they use ##\phi## instead of ##\theta## for the azimuthal angle.)

The expression for an infinitesimal displacement is at the bottom of the first page of the link, and an expression for acceleration is in the middle of the next page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Oh god, you're right, thank you! I totally forgot about the acceleration vector being different.

I don't have any way to check my new result, but apart from that I think my procedure was the right one, so if I carried well the arithmetic it should be correct, shouldn't it?

Yes. Your overall method looks correct.

1. What is D' Alembert's Principle?

D' Alembert's Principle is a fundamental concept in mechanics that states that the net force acting on a body is equal to its mass times its acceleration. This principle is often used to simplify the analysis of complex systems by reducing them to a single equation.

2. How does D' Alembert's Principle apply to an inverted cone?

In the case of an inverted cone, D' Alembert's Principle can be used to find the equilibrium position of the cone when it is subjected to external forces. The principle states that the sum of the forces acting on the cone, including the weight of the cone itself, must be equal to zero for the cone to remain in a state of static equilibrium.

3. What are the steps for using D' Alembert's Principle on an inverted cone?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the inverted cone, showing all the external forces acting on it. Next, apply D' Alembert's Principle by setting the sum of the forces equal to zero. Then, solve for the unknown forces or variables. Finally, check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure that the net force is indeed equal to zero.

4. Can D' Alembert's Principle be used to analyze more complex systems?

Yes, D' Alembert's Principle can be used to analyze any system as long as it is in a state of equilibrium. This includes systems with multiple bodies, interconnected forces, and varying mass distribution. The key is to correctly identify all the external forces acting on the system and apply the principle accordingly.

5. Are there any limitations to using D' Alembert's Principle?

While D' Alembert's Principle is a useful tool for simplifying the analysis of complex systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in a state of static equilibrium, meaning that the acceleration is equal to zero. It also does not account for factors such as friction and air resistance, which may affect the actual behavior of the system.