1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume of a cone using spherical coordinates

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    Find the volume of the portion of cone z^2 = x^2 + y^2 bounded by the planes z = 1 and z = 2 using spherical coordinates

I am having trouble coming up with the limits

Relevant equations
    dV = r^2*sin(theta)*dr*d(theta)*d(phi)
    r = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)

the problem is actually 2 parts, the 2nd part asks to evaluate by cylindrical coordinates and I obtain 7pi/3 which i know is right, I just cant come up with the limits

Attempt
    for r i have from sqrt2 to 2sqrt2
    for theta i have from 0 to pi/4
    and for phi i have from 0 to 2pi

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In spherical coordinates, [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex]
    Putting those into [itex]z^2= x^2+ y^2[/itex] becomes [itex]\rho^2 cos^2(\phi)= \rho^2 cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)+ \rho^2 cos^2(\theta)sin^2(\phi)[/itex][itex]\rho^2 sin^2(\phi)[/itex] which reduces to [itex]cos^2(\phi)= sin^2(\phi)[/itex]. For [itex]\phi[/itex] between 0 and [itex]\pi/2[/itex], that is true only for [itex]\phi= \pi/4[/itex].

Now, for [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)= 1[/itex] then [itex]\rho= 1/cos(\phi)[/itex] for [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)= 2[/itex] then [itex]\rho= 2/cos(\phi)[/itex] the limits of integration are: [itex]rho[/itex] from [itex]1/cos(\phi)[/itex] to [itex]2/cos(\phi)[/itex], [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/4[/itex], and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

It looks to me like cylindrical coordinates should be much easier! Again, [itex]\theta[/itex] runs from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], z obviously runs from 1 to 2, and, since [itex]z^2= x^2+ y^2= r^2[/itex], z= r (z is positive) so r runs from 0 to z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook