Finding the force exerted by one plate on another

In summary, the correct expression for the electric field outside of a parallel-plate capacitor is E = (Q/A) * (1/εo) , where Q is the charge on either plate, A is the area of the plates, and εo is the permittivity of free space. Using this correct expression, the calculated electric field is E = (5e-6/0.3) * (1/8.85e-12) = 1883239 N/C. However, the force exerted by one plate on the other is not simply QE, as you had originally thought. Instead, it is given by F = (Q^2/2εoA). Plugging in the values
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm stuck on a mutliple choice question: A parallel-plate capacitor has a plate area of 0.3 m2 and a plate separation of 0.1 mm. If the charge on each plate has a magnitude of 5 10-6 C then the force exerted by one plate on the other has a magnitude of about:
1 E4 N
9 E5 N
5 N
9 N

Here is what i did:
I know the E-field right outside a conductor is E = (Q/A)/Eo <--permitivity. So i found E = (5e-6/.3)/8.85e-12 = 1883239 N/C; Then i knew F = QE, so I said, F = (5e-6)(1883239) = 9.4N, which was wrong, then i thought, hm..maybe i messed up a unit somehow, so i tried 9e5N, also wrong, then i thought, well if they are both positive, that means the net force is going to be 0, because ulike charges repel, same charge, 0 net force. also wrong. What did i do wrong?

I also ran into odd problem, I'm wondering if the homework problem is wrong...
A 20 F capacitor is charged to 200 V. Its stored energy is:
4000 J
0.1 J
2000 J
0.4 J
4 J

Easy enough, U = .5*CV^2;
U = .5(20)(200)^2 = 400000J;
The answer is .4J though?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can provide some clarification on the problem you are facing. First of all, your calculation for the electric field is correct. However, the mistake lies in your calculation for the force exerted by one plate on the other. The correct equation for the force between two charged plates is F = (Q1Q2)/4πε0d^2, where Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the two plates and d is the distance between them. In this case, the force exerted by one plate on the other would be F = (5e-6)(5e-6)/4π(8.85e-12)(0.1e-3)^2 = 9N. Therefore, the correct answer to the multiple-choice question would be 9N.

As for the second problem, you are correct in your calculation for the stored energy. The answer of 0.4J is incorrect and it seems like there may be a mistake in the problem itself. I would recommend double-checking the units and values given in the problem to see if there is an error.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your studies. As a scientist, it is important to always double-check our calculations and question any discrepancies that we encounter.

1. What is the force exerted by one plate on another?

The force exerted by one plate on another is the amount of pressure or push that one plate exerts on the other plate in a given system. This force can be caused by a variety of factors, such as gravity, electric fields, or magnetic fields.

2. How is the force between two plates calculated?

The force between two plates can be calculated using the formula F = G(m1m2/r^2), where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two plates, and r is the distance between them. This formula is known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.

3. What factors can affect the force between two plates?

The force between two plates can be affected by a variety of factors, including the masses of the plates, the distance between them, and any external forces such as gravity or electric fields. The type of material the plates are made of can also affect the force, as some materials have stronger or weaker interactions with each other.

4. Can the force between two plates be negative?

No, the force between two plates cannot be negative. The force is always a positive value, as it represents the magnitude of the push or pull between the two plates. However, the direction of the force can be negative if it is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system.

5. How can the force between two plates be measured?

The force between two plates can be measured using a variety of methods, depending on the type of force and the specific system. For example, the force of gravity between two plates can be measured using a spring scale or a balance, while the force of an electric field can be measured using an electrostatic force sensor. In some cases, mathematical calculations can also be used to determine the force between two plates.